Folding the Star Spangled Banner

Discussion in 'Other US Flag Etiquette' started by DutchDuke, Jul 2, 2008.

1. DutchDuke

DutchDuke New Member

First of all, I guess I have to tell you that I am from The Netherlands. I am born and raised in The Netherlands but for several reasons my heart belongs to The United States of America. On special days (Independance day, september 11) I fly the Star Spangled Banner and my heart jumps when I see it proudly waving from the front of my house. My question is the following:
    Is there a protocol for folding the flag?
    I always see the flags being carefully folded in movies and it seems that it is done following a set protocol. Can anyone tell me more about folding the American flag?
    Thanks in advance.
    Peter.

My apologizes for not thinking before I leap. I just discoveed that this question was already posted on this forum.

2. dutchduke - its perfectly fine! i enjoy answering the questions anyway!
    welcome to USA flag site!

i myself am from England.. but i too feel its only by default... i've always loved the United States- and i'd love to live there

in answer to your question - there is a proper way to fold the US flag - and it its finished and cased it should look like the one i have in my avator ^^^

you CAN fold it with one person- depends on the size of the flag... its certainly easier with 2 though

take the flag lengthways - fold it over lenghthways so the stripes are on the top - then fold again lengthways to bring the stars on top on both sides of the flag.
    start from the striped end to make triangles by gettin the corner and bringing it over to the edge of the flag- then flip in over and keep following your triangle down the flag till your near the end...;

then just tuck the loose end in the folds of the flag - easiest way to do that is to make a small triangle in the flap closest to the end of the point - and itll go in easier

if your want to see demonstations - its just a matter of going to youtube and typoing in flag folding... you should get some results!

Last edited: Jul 3, 2008
  3. djlove1another

djlove1another New Member

The flag is folded in a triangle with the stars outward. There are 13 folds which each have a symbolic message for each fold. I think the 13 folds represent the original 13 colonies in USA.
    You must start at the end opposite the stars. So that the stars are shown last. The flag must never touch the ground when being folded.

The Boy Scouts of America handbook may have more about this too. USA military personel may help you too.
    God Bless America :)

4. boza127

boza127 New Member

The first fold of our flag is a symbol of Life.

The second fold is a symbol of our belief in God.

The third fold is made in honor and rememberance of the veterans departing our ranks who gave a portion of their lives for the defense of our country to attain peace through the world.

The forth fold represents our weaker nature, for as American citizens trusting in God, it is to Him we turn in times of peace as well as in time of war for His guidance.

The fifth fold is in tribute to our Country, for in the words of Stephen Decatur, "Our Country, in dealing with other countries, may she always be right -- but it is still our country, right or wrong."

The sixth fold is for where our hearts lie. It is with our hearts that we pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

The seventh fold is a tribute to our Armed Forces, for it is through the Armed Forces that we protect our Country and our Flag against all her enemies, whether they are found within or without the borders of our Republic.

The eighth fold is a tribute to the one who entered into the Valley of the Shadow of Death, that we might see the light of day and to honor Mother for whom it flies on Mother's Day.

The ninth fold is a tribute to Womanhood, for it has been through their fatih, their love, their loyalty and their devotion to character of the men and women who have made this Country great, has been molded.

The tenth fold is a tribute to the Father. For he, too, has given his sons and daughters for the defense of our Country since they were first born.

The eleventh fold in the eyes of a Hebrew citizen represents the lower portion of the Seal of King David and King Solomon; and glorifies in their eyes the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob.

The twelth fold, in the eyes of a Christian citizen, represents an emblem of eternity and glories in their eyes, God the Father, the Son, and Holy Spirit.

When the flag is completely folded and tucked in, it takes on the appearnce of a cocked hat, every reminding us of the soldiers who served under General George Washington, and the sailors and Marines who served under Captain John Paul Jones, who were followed by their comrads and shipmates in the Armed Forces of the United States, preserving for the rights, privileges and freedoms we enjoy today.

This is from an email circulating in Scout circles here in New England/USA.

the USA is the only nation that folds its flag into a triangular shape -- to remind us of the Minute Men....

hope this helps
    Pack 507, Great Trails Council Boy Scouts of America