For folks with a flag by their home, where are the references to the parts of flag etiquette with re

Discussion in 'Half Mast / Half Staff' started by don warner saklad, Jan 10, 2011.

1. don warner saklad

don warner saklad New Member

At home.
    Where are the references to the parts of flag etiquette with respect for lowering the flag this week?... for folks with a flag by their home.

Or is the lowering this week only for being observed on public property?

2. Peter Ansoff

Peter Ansoff USA Flag Site Admin

Hello, Don -- welcome to the forum.

Interesting question. The President issued a proclamation yesterday (9 January) directing that flags on Federal buildings, ships, embassies, etc. should be flown at half-staff until sunset on Friday the 14th. The text of the proclamation is here:

Presidential Proclamation--Honoring the Victims of the Tragedy in Tucson, Arizona | The White House

Normally, these proclamations include a statement urging citizens and organizations to half-staff their flags as well, but this particular one did not for some reason. My guess is that it was just an administrative oversight. In any case, there's nothing wrong with individuals doing so on their own initiative. We'll be flying the US and Arizona flags at half-staff at our house until the 14th.

Peter Ansoff

3. Robin Hickman

Robin Hickman Well-Known Member

Hello, Don, Welcome to the USA-Flag-Site Forums.

For those folks who are in mourning and want to pay their respects, by all means fly your Flag(s) at half-staff.

For those who have a Flag that can't be "half-staffed", attaching a black "mourning ribbon" or "mourning bow" at the very top of your flag's pole is an accepable alternative.

The President is also calling for a moment of silence to begin at 11:00 AM EST (8:00 AM PST) this morning.

Robin Hickman
    Eugene, Oregon, USA

4. Robin Hickman

Flags at half-staff in front of my house the morning of Monday, January 10th, 2011. From the observers' left-to-right: the U.S. Flag, the State of Oregon flag, and the State of Arizona flag.

FlagsHalfStaff(1-10-2011) -small.JPG

FlagsHalfStaff02(1-10-2011)small.JPG

Robin Hickman
    Eugene, Oregon, USA

5. Robin Hickman

Flags at half-staff in front of my house the afternoon of Tuesday, January 11th, 2011. From the observers' left-to-right: the U.S. Flag, the State of Oregon flag, and the State of Arizona flag.

P1050610.JPG

P1050611.JPG

Robin Hickman
    Eugene, Oregon, USA

6. Robin Hickman

Flags at half-staff in front of my house the gray & rainy morning of Wednesday, January 12th, 2011. From the observers' left-to-right: the U.S. Flag, the State of Oregon flag, and the State of Arizona flag.

(Moved 60 lb. concrete block holding flagpole & U.S. Flag off dirt and onto concrete.)

P1050616.JPG

P1050620.JPG

Robin Hickman
    Eugene, Oregon, USA

7. Robin Hickman

Flags at half-staff in front of my house this wet & blustery morning of Thursday, January 13th, 2011. From the observers' left-to-right: the U.S. Flag, the State of Oregon flag, and the State of Arizona flag.

(BTW : The Arizona State flag is a brand new Annin Nyl-Glo model that was part of an assorted collection of 21 flags I found on eBay. I had no idea that it would be the first one "out-of-the-box".)

P1050625.JPG

P1050633.JPG

Robin Hickman
    Eugene, Oregon, USA

8. Robin Hickman

All three Flags were thoroughly soaked by off-and-on rain showers all day on Thursday, January 13th. By 12:00 noon they were heavy with water, hanging limp and hugging their poles.

So to dry them out, I hung them up inside the garage so that the poles were somewhat horizontal and the flags were hanging down.

And it always helps when there are large fans available to help with the drying process !!! :D

The Arizona flag was the first to be taken down last night and hung up, followed by the Oregon flag and the U.S. Flag. This morning the U.S. Flag will be the first to be posted, followed by the Oregon and Arizona flags,

TWO Pictures (High & Dry!):

P1050639.JPG

P1050641.JPG

Robin Hickman
    Eugene, Oregon, USA

9. Robin Hickman

Flags at half-staff in front of my house this gray & wet & showery morning of Friday, January 14th, 2011. From the observers' left-to-right: the U.S. Flag, the State of Oregon flag, and the State of Arizona flag.

P1050643.JPG

P1050650.JPG

P1050664.JPG

Robin Hickman
    Eugene, Oregon, USA

10. Robin Hickman

In between a couple of today's intermittent rain showers I went for my daily walk. Near the end of it I stopped in at our local neighborhood Home Depot to pick up a few things.

Right away I noticed that Home Depot was flying their Flag at half-staff, so I took some pictures!

P1050666.JPG

P1050671.JPG

P1050672.JPG

P1050674.JPG

It looks like they were flying a 3'x5' U.S. Flag at half-staff. Judging by the heavy duty eye-bolts permanently attached to their flagpole, it looks like they're set-up to fly either a 3'x5' or 4'x6' Flag at full or half staff. Heck, they might even be able to hang a 5'x8' or 6'x10' flag !!!

Robin Hickman
    Eugene, Oregon, USA

11. Robin Hickman

Saturday, January 15th, 2011 : Back To "Normal".

P1050677.JPG P1050679.JPG

Robin Hickman
    Eugene, Oregon, USA