foreign citizen treatment of the American flag

Discussion in 'Other US Flag Etiquette' started by Lisa Curran, Apr 22, 2008.

1. Lisa Curran

Lisa Curran New Member

I had a disagreement with my relatives...they feel that a boy who refused to say the Pledge of Allegiance (back when they still did that) in his American public school was wrong to do so, even though he was a Mexican citizen.

My relatives felt that it was a slap in the face to the United States, like "biting the hand that feeds you" since the child's family was living and benefitting from being in America.

I thought that saying the pledge is the priveledge and responsibility only of American citizens, and that doing so when one officially remains a citizen exclusively of a foreign country would not be proper.

Is there a rule on this matter? Is it appropriate for non-Americans to pledge to our flag?

2. Peter Ansoff

Peter Ansoff USA Flag Site Admin

Hi, Lisa!

I tend to agree with you. The pledge of allegiance is not just a statement about the benefits of living in the USA. It is just what its name says -- an expression of loyalty to the nation and, implicitly, a willingness to defend it if necessary. It would not seem right that a foreign national, who has obligations to another country, should be required to pledge allegiance to ours.

Perhaps you could ask your relatives how they would feel if the situation were reversed. If an American child were living in Mexico, should he/she be required to pledge allegiance to the United Mexican States?

Peter Ansoff

3. i willingly pledge alliegence to the US flag every day! and i live in england /