Forgotten flags

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Flag Discussion' started by american_flag_uk, Jul 13, 2010.

1. Hey all

I've found an interesting website, and thought to post it up here, for those who are vexi-nuts!

Dark Roasted Blend: Flags of Forgotten Countries

There's 2 pages, depicting forgotten flags, of old countries and empires etc

Its quite interesting really - I recognise about 3 of the flags from all of the 2 pages haha!

Have fun with that one!

2. Adam Cappps

Adam Cappps New Member

I have recently be writing histories about many flags of the world. I have taken a close look at most of those flags and see a lot of resemblance in some of the forgotten flags. But like you said, I only recognize a few of them.

great post!

3. NAVA1974

NAVA1974 Active Member

Have you seen the national flag histories on Flags of the World

Nick

nb: I have actual period examples of over a dozen of the obsolete flags shown on that "Dark Roasted Blend" website. I can post pics of a few if you would like.

4. Adam Cappps

Adam Cappps New Member

FOTW is a great source of information. I visit that site at least once a day.

5. Dopey

Dopey New Member

As a stamp collector, I always thought the "Occupied Nations" series of flag stamps, released by U.S.P.O. during World War II, was a nice looking set.
    I also have several of my grandfather's and great-grandfather's classroom roll-down maps. I especially enjoy the maps of WWI and WWII, which have a border of world leaders/flags. The WWII map includes leaders such as Hitler, Roosevelt, and a very young Shah of Iran.
    While researching a craft project, where I wanted to reproduce a Polish flag, I found interesting notes on its history. The central animal did not change, as Poland was occupied by numerous entities in the 20th century, but a crown is used on the image only when the country is free i.e. the crown did not appear on flags flown under Communist rule.
    Sincerely,
    Dopey