Fort moultrie flag questions

Discussion in 'Other Flags' started by Ethan, Apr 15, 2017.

1. Ethan

Ethan New Member

So, I am buying a historic fort Multrie flag from the historic flag co (historicflagcompany.com) and they make custom flags of silk and as such, they are pretty expensive (500 for the fort multrie flag) I want the flag to be as accurate as possible and so I don't want to regret my decision and as such I am coming here for advice.

I know that the flag depecting the word library at the bottom is wrong, but I am conflicted as wether or not to have the library In the crescent or no library at all. I have read various books and articles were they say there was no library in the original flag. I was wondering what yalls opinion is on this. Also, should I have gold fring on the flag or not?

2. Robin Hickman

Robin Hickman Well-Known Member

Greetings, Ethan!

Welcome to the USA-FLAG-SITE Forums!

The Moultrie Flag (or, "Fort Moultrie Flag") models that I've seen (or heard of) have been of a darker color of Blue and have a White "Crescent" Moon in the "Canton" (upper left-hand corner) of the Flag. They either have the word "Liberty" written inside of the Crescent Moon, or the Crescent Moon is plain White and the word "Liberty" is written (in all capitals, sans serif) across the bottom edge of the Flag. I can not tell you which version is "right" or "wrong". Either way, if I remember correctly, the word "Liberty" is part of the Moultrie Flag.

My personal preference for a Moultrie Flag would probably that it would have the plain white crescent moon and the word "Liberty" across the bottom of the Flag. I might prefer it because it looks so much like the present day South Carolina state Flag with its plain white crescent moon in the canton and the white Palmetto Tree in the center. Or maybe I prefer that particular style just because I think it would be a nice "match" to my old Annin ("Nyl-Glo") Taunton Flag which is basically, to my understanding, a British "Red Ensign" with the words (in White) "Liberty And Union" appliqued onto (sewn into) to the Flag.

There are a number of experts (I am NOT an "expert"!) who are members here. In all probability one or more of them will be able to address your questions/concerns much more completely than I have. If they can't, then they probably know someone who can!

My "non-expert" opinion regarding adding a "gold fringe" to your custom-made, hand-painted Fort Moultrie Flag?

If it is to be an "indoor" Flag or "ceremonial" Flag, or an occasionally outdoor "parade" Flag, then I don't see too much of a problem with adding a gold fringe. HOWEVER... If it's going to be an "outdoor" Flag (which at $500, I'd rather doubt), or a "Re-Enactment" Flag, then I'd say do NOT do it. I don't believe that I've ever seen or heard of a full-time "outdoor" Flag or a historically accurate "re-enactment" Flag having a gold fringe attached to it. That doesn't mean that it has never happened, it just means the I, personally, have never seen or heard of it. Besides, I don't even know WHEN "gold fringe" was invented/developed, or when it was first applied to Flags. Personally, I don't believe that gold fringe was used in that manner until way (Way!) after the American Revolutionary War. But again, I am NOT an "expert", remember?

Anyway, much Good Luck with your Fort Moultrie Flag" project! PLEASE post some pictures of the completed Flag for us!!!

Thank You!

Robin Hickman
    "Your Friendly Neighborhood Flag Man"
    Eugene, Oregon, USA.

3. Ethan

Ethan New Member

Yeah, it is definitely not leavening the house, and I actually plan on framing it, thanks for your advice. And I will be shure to post pictures.

4. Robin Hickman

Robin Hickman Well-Known Member

Hello, Ethan!

There are a number of threads in the "US Flag Specs and Design" Forum regarding the use, purpose, and mythology of "gold fringe" on U.S. Flags.

http://www.usa-flag-site.org/forum/us-flag-specs-and-design/

Most of the comments/responses in them revolve around various "conspiracy theories". But in some of the more "historically" actual-fact responses scattered throughout the different postings, I found one by Peter Ansoff (our Forum Admin and Past President of the North American Vexillological Association - NAVA) where he mentions that the use of fringe on Flags (not necessarily "golden") goes all the way back to the Roman Legions. In another thread there was a reference (and a "broken" link) to the U.S. Army's "Institute of Heraldry" Website. Since the link posted is "broken", I went to their website and did a search for Fringe On The American Flag. The search results included Question #9 (Q9: What is the background information about fringe on the U.S. Flag?) on their FAQ ~ "U.S. Flag Etiquette" Page :

http://www.tioh.hqda.pentagon.mil/FAQs/Faqs.aspx?hilite=Fringe On American Flag

QUOTE :
    Q9: What is the background information about fringe on the U.S. Flag?
    Gold fringe is used on the National flag as an honorable enrichment only. It is not regarded as an integral part of the flag and its use does not constitute an unauthorized addition to the design prescribed by statutes.

Records of the Department of the Army indicate that fringe was used on the National flag as early as 1835 and its official use by the Army dates from 1895. There is no record of an Act of Congress or Executive Order which either prescribes or prohibits the addition of fringe, nor is there any indication that any symbolism was ever associated with it. The use of fringe is optional with the person or organization displaying the flag.

A 1925 Attorney General's Opinion (34 Op. Atty. Gen 483) states:

"The fringe does not appear to be regarded as an integral part of the flag, and its presence cannot be said to constitute an unauthorized additional to the design prescribed by statute. An external fringe is to be distinguished from letters, words, or emblematic designs printed or superimposed upon the body of the flag itself. Under the law, such additions might be open to objection as unauthorized; but the same is not necessarily true of the fringe."

It is customary to place gold fringe on silken (rayon-silk-nylon) National flags that are carried in parades, used in official ceremonies, and displayed in offices, merely to enhance the beauty of the flag. The use of fringe is not restricted to the Federal Government. Such flags are used and displayed by our Armed Forces, veterans, civic and civilian organizations, and private individuals. However, it is the custom not to use fringe on flags displayed from stationary flagpoles and, traditionally, fringe has not been used on internment flags.

I don't know if any of the additional reading will help you decide to use, or not use, a gold fringe on your Fort Moultrie Flag. Since it is going to be "framed" and kept indoors, then I suppose adding the gold fringe wouldn't be that much of a "problem". I mean, other than the additional cost to add it to the Flag, and then trying to figure out how to make the fringe across the top and down the fly-end stick out like it would naturally (due to gravity) across the bottom of the Flag.

Good Luck with your Fort Moultrie Flag project! I'm looking forward to seeing pictures of it when it's all done and proudly hung up on your wall !!!

Robin Hickman
    "Your Friendly Neighborhood Flag Man"
    Eugene, Oregon, USA.