Forum User Statistics

Discussion in 'Forum News and Announcements' started by Peter Ansoff, Feb 8, 2010.

1. Peter Ansoff

Peter Ansoff USA Flag Site Admin

While working on the connection problem, I compiled some information about the number of users and user activity. The attached table (in a small Word document) lists all users who have made at least 10 posts. As you can see, there are only 24, out of a total user base of around 6000, and some of them are no longer active. Numberwise, there is definitely a "big 4" -- Amanda, Nick, Robin and myself, each with several hundred. The table was current as of 2 February 2010, and also shows each user's join date and last activity date.

Peter Ansoff
    Forum Admin

2. Greengo

Greengo New Member

Hi Peter, Hope I am in there somewhere. Beleive it or not I don't have Word installed on my computer.

I don't post very often, but I read all new post as they are presented. I still fly my flags whenever the weather allows.

It's a read shame that so few people show "REAL" interest in the site. 99% just sign in once, and then disappear. I hope that I am not considered to be in that group.

Hang in there fellow "FLAG FANS"!!!

Greengo

3. Peter Ansoff

Hi, Greengo and all,

I resaved the list as a PDF -- see attached. If anyone would like to see it in a different format, let me know (email or private message) and I'll see what I can do.

Speaking of attachments: the Forum default settings for the maximum allowable size of attachments are very low, especially for non-graphics files. If you are trying to attach a file and get a message that it's too big, let me know and I may be able to make some adjustments.

Peter Ansoff
    Forum Admin

4. NAVA1974

NAVA1974 Active Member

Re: USA flag display w/ other country flags

Name: NAVA1974
    Last Activity: 2/1/2010
    Number of Posts: 362

Jumping Jehosephat, don't I have anything better to do?? :rolleyes:

Seriously, I enjoy sharing info on this forum. It's even better when I'm right:D

Nick

5. PRGringo

PRGringo New Member

I think that it is good to analyze the stats, but not to lose sight that it is quality and not quantity that maters.

As for the members who are or remain active, a suggestion....Perhaps they can be provided with "privileges" after a number of posts, such as the ability to post more pics, larger files, etc.

If activity is to be encouraged, then perhaps there are sections that could be added that are not addressed by the current topic areas. For example, a place to show Favorite Flags, Unusual Flags, commercial flags. One flag I have always wished I had was the Taco Bell Dog flag.

I realize some of these ideas may be already addressed in an existing forum area and may be in conflict with the "mission" of the site (Is there a mission? If not, would you be willing to share your vision for the site, Pete?). If activity is to be increased then perhaps the offerings might help accomplish this.

Just my 2 cents....

6. Peter Ansoff

Hello, Steve and all,

I think that it is good to analyze the stats, but not to lose sight that it is quality and not quantity that maters.

Absolutely!

Perhaps [active members] can be provided with "privileges" after a number of posts, such as the ability to post more pics, larger files, etc.

I'll do some looking into this. There are not too many restrictions now; the big one is on the size of pictures and attachments. Those can be adjusted forum-wide, but I'm not sure there's a way to do it on a user by user basis. As you've probably deduced, I'm still learning how some of this works!

perhaps there are sections that could be added that are not addressed by the current topic areas. For example, a place to show Favorite Flags, Unusual Flags, commercial flags.

This is a great idea, and we can certainly do it. How 'bout some more feedback -- how should we restructure the sections? What new ones should we have, should any of the current ones be eliminated or merged, etc? This part of the forum software is pretty flexible -- we can move threads around, create new levels and sub-levels, etc.

Another thing that might be food for thought is purging of some of the posts and threads themselves. So far I have not done this -- every post that has ever been made in the forum is still here, except for a few that were obvious violations of the forum rules (obscenities, etc.) that slipped through the moderation. There are lots of posts that are duplicative, and probably some that are overtaken by events. I feel that we would need to proceed very carefully in this area, but it would be great to hear everyones' thoughts on the subject.

(Is there a mission? If not, would you be willing to share your vision for the site, Pete?).

That's an extremely good question. From a historical standpoint, no, I don't think that there has ever been a stated mission for the site. The gentleman who founded it (his name is Ross Ford, and he's a software developer in Nashville TN), originally set it up as practice "test bed" for some of his efforts, and also because he wanted to encourage patriotism in the wake of 9-11. He "hired" several folks to moderate the different forums, but most of them disappeared after a short time. (You can still see some of their old posts). My involvement was accidental: I discovered the site one day and started posting. Eventually, I got in touch with Ross and offered to help administer the site.

My vision of the site is threefold. First, I see it as a well-known and recognized source of accurate, reliable information about the US flag, flag etiquette, and related topics. There are many sites that claim to do this, but most of them do not offer much depth -- they quote the flag code and maybe a few other sources, but that's about it. This can lead in some misleading directions. For example, just about all of them miss the point that there is *no* overriding set of flag etiquette rules. Each of the military forces has a set, several other Federal government departments have them, as do state and local governments. Sometimes these rules are inconsistent with each other, and with the civilian flag code. IMHO, this site is one of the few that make a real attempt to sort out the details correctly. We also try to dispell the notion that flag etiquette is some kind of mysterious, quasi-religious doctrine that must be applied in every tiny detail under penalty of, well, whatever. Instead, we promote the idea that it's just a sensible set of guidelines on how to treat the symbol of our nation in an appropriate, respectful way.

The second aspect of my vision of the site has to do with patriotism. Most flag-related web sites and publications (including NAVA News, of which I'm the current editor) take the position that politics is off limits. This is good, in that it promotes sound scholarship, but it sometimes sidesteps the fact that flags are, by their nature, political things. Also, patriotism itself is an important subject, and was one of the original ideas that Ross had in mind when he founded the site. There are many web sites that deal with patriotism, but my observation is that most equate "patriotism" with right-wing politics. My vision (which may be idealistic) is that it's possible to discuss patriotism, and examine what it means to each of us, without falling into the abyss of name-calling and invective. It's a difficult balancing act, but I feel that we've succeeded pretty well so far.

One other thought concerning the patriotism angle: As you know if you've been with us for a while, I tend toward liberal political views. I also consider myself to be an American patriot, and I do not believe that there is any conflict between those two positions. I have not made any secret of my views, but I have tried very hard to express that in a form that addresses the issues, respects the opinions of others, and encourages discussion and dialog.

The third component of the vision is that the site is a forum whereby people all over the world can share their common interest in flags, patriotism, and related topics, exchange views, get to know each other, and have fun. That sounds sort of banal, but it's obvious that the site won't succeed unless it offers something that keeps members coming back, and draws in new ones.

Thanks, Steve, for bringing up these matters. I'd be very intrested to hear everyones' comments on any of the above. In particular, let's hear some feedback on the reorganization of the sections!

Best to all,

Peter Ansoff
    Forum Admin