Found a nice 48 star flag - trying to find out more about it.

Discussion in 'Flag Identification and Collecting' started by Diderot, Sep 23, 2013.

1. Diderot

Diderot New Member

Hi All,

I picked up a flag recently that looks to have some history to it - would love to know more about it. It's hand sewn from the look of it, likely cotton. The measurements are approximately 35" x 55". It has two grommets that appear to be brass / copper... but I could be way off on that. It has the words 'this side out' visible, and a barely visible stamp on the other side close to one of the grommets. I've included some photos below - if you have any questions fire away. Thanks in advance for any insight as to its origin, etc.

You should be able to view full resolution images at this link too: s756.photobucket.com/user/mattquesnel (let me know if not working).

image.jpg
    image(1).jpg
    image(2).jpg
    image(3).jpg
    image(4).jpg

2. csaanv

csaanv Member

Hi Diderot,
    You did all right, it is a nice flag. It is too bad they don't appliqué stars on flags anymore.

3. Diderot

Diderot New Member

I'm interested in selling this flag is anyone is a collector and interested. I found it north of the border in Canada and I feel like it should have a home in the US.

4. NAVA1974

NAVA1974 Active Member

Hi,
    Your flag is machine sewn cotton, with zig zag machine stitching used to apply the stars. I would say this flag was made in the 1940's or 1950's. Not sure what "This side out" means except that it may mean that part should be exposed when the flag is folded.
    Regards,
    Nick
    Columbia Maryland

5. Kelly

Kelly New Member

Anyone have an idea of what this flag might be worth made out of hemp