G SPEC- Government Specified U.S. Flags

Discussion in 'US Flag Specs and Design' started by IwantGSPEC, Jul 17, 2009.

1. Peter Ansoff

Peter Ansoff USA Flag Site Admin

Matt and Robin,

Very interesting thread! I'm wondering if this might be an item for NAVA News . . .

Peter A.

2. Robin Hickman

Robin Hickman Well-Known Member

Hi, PETER !!! :D

NOW we're talking about L-E-V-E-R-A-G-E ! ! ! :eek: :eek:

Robin

3. mattsaccount

mattsaccount Member

LOL, that's pretty amusing :) It would be interesting if we had data on the rate of returns for these kind of flags and the kinds of manufacturing flaws that come up, but that would be impossible to get. One would think the manufacturers would verify that the flags met the spec before sending them out, so I guess it's also a QA issue.

I'd called Quinn this morning and the woman I talked to said they'd get back to me before noon Eastern time.

4. Robin Hickman

That's only about an HOUR from NOW !!! :eek: :D :eek: :D

Robin

5. mattsaccount

mattsaccount Member

I'm starting to wonder if customer service is dead. :p

OK, so I'd contacted Valley Forge a total of 4 times. Once, they did not reply--that was via the form on their website. Once on the phone, they said the flag was not defective and insisted on a 5% tolerance. The second time on the phone they said that they were a wholesaler and don't deal with schmoes like me. The last time, they replied via email, said the flag was defective, and that I should contact Quinn Flags because they're a wholesaler and don't deal with schmoes like me. OK--four conversations, three responses.

So, I've called Quinn Flags twice now. The first time, I talked to a nice woman who said it sounded like the flag was defective. But, she wasn't sure, and wanted me to take it up with her manager. Since her manager was out, she transferred me to his voice mail, where I left a message with my name, number, order number, and a brief description of the issue. He never returned my call. The second time I called, I spoke to a different woman. This time I also provided a link to the picture. (I'd updated the URL for the woman's benefit; it's now http://pages.cs.wisc.edu/~mjr/temp/flags.jpg because the server is case sensitive and it was easier to say this over the phone). She said she'd talk to her manager, the same man as the first call, and get back to me by 12:00 EST. She did successfully view the picture, so I know they can see it. It's now 6:00 EST, and I've not received a call :p I'm guessing I've slipped through the cracks again.

Maybe the 7th time is the charm? :)

6. Robin Hickman

Hmmmm..... :confused:

Apparently, in this case, "patience" should be added to "persistence". :cool:

Hang in there..... and keep after 'em !!! :D

Robin

7. mattsaccount

mattsaccount Member

The saga is concluded :) Quinn flags got back to me and confirmed the flag is bad. I'll have to mail it back to them, but they'll send a free replacement. They also quoted the 2% variance figure.

Now the only question is: will the replacement be OK? :) Don't disappoint me Valley Forge :p

8. Robin Hickman

H_O_O_R_A_Y___!_!_!

Robin :D :eek: :D :eek:

9. flagsdotcom

flagsdotcom New Member

At flags.com we carry GSPEC flags from every manufacturer. There is not a difference between each because the government specifications are very very detailed, which doesn't allow for much wiggle room on the dye process, sewing, or materials used. However, we do NOT suggest flying a cotton GSPEC or any other cotton flag outdoors for long. They are the traditional flags but do not withstand sun and rain the way nylon or polyester flags do.

The post from American Flag UK above is very helpful. However the American flag that was not GSPEC was also a poorer quality than our flags. Our flags are lock stitched so if one string comes undone it doesn't unravel the entire flag. Also all the stars are embroidered (on smaller flags) or appliqued (on larger flags). Each manufacturer creates different levels of American flags. They sell cheaper versions of the American flag (i.e. printed or chain stitched), however we do not carry them. I hope this has helped. If you're looking to buy a GSPEC flag you can find them on our site at View All Of Our Government Spec American Flags

10. coasterville

coasterville Member

I was out on eBay again, dangerous I know, and came across an unusual flag

By its size, it matches perfectly to the Size 10 G-spec flag, however some things just seem weird. For one, if the photos are true it appears to have appliqué as opposed to embroidered stars. But even more unusual is the finish, rather than either grommets or a pole sleeve, it has a roped header with clips. Also judging from the photos it's a Valley Forge from the header markings.

I don't have it in my hot little hands yet, but when I get it I'll update further. Note te listing didn't mention any of these unusual features nor did it claim to be G-spec. I had to dive down to the third photo of the item to discover them.

At any rate, for $6, I can't go wrong right?

11. flagsdotcom

flagsdotcom New Member

Coasterville– Valley Forge doesn't offer a size 10 . A G-spec that has a rope & snap heading is a - Type 1 Class 1 A flag.

I received this information from the Valley Forge Production Planner who handles the G-Spec line of flags.

Flags.com

12. coasterville

coasterville Member

Thanks for the help. I was comparing sizes to the size chart posted on the first page of this thread.

Sorry if that was misleading.

13. flagsdotcom

flagsdotcom New Member

Is everyone on this thread a NAVA member or a consumer? Either way, it seems like you could use some representation! Please, please consider buying through Flags.com the next time around. And also let us know if you if you have spec questions, we'll get the answers for you. We have a close relationship with all of the manufacturers since we've been doing business for 22 years now!

14. coasterville

coasterville Member

On the other hand, looking at their prices makes me like I for an even better steal on the deal.

The flag shipped today, so maybe I'll see what I got on Saturday, but the eBay expected arrival date is next week. We'll see.

If the flag looks as good in person as it did in the photos, I may actually feel guilty!!

15. coasterville

coasterville Member

It Arrived!!!!

And it looks Beautiful!

50 Star flag, applique stars, the corners are reinforced. Color matched thread, and the stitch pattern looks different than on commerical grade flags. The nylon feels nicer as well. Super strong header, there are no less than three rows of stitching holding the flag to the header, then there are two rows of stictching at each end of the header sealing it off. The header rope goes through the sleeve created, and there is stictchwork that appears to go through header, rope and all so that the rope can't slide up and down. At the top of the flag, the rope is looped around a large metal ring, at the bottom of the flag is about 19" of rope, to which is attached a snap hook. In other words a VERY well constructed flag.

One oddity, in the upper most corner of the canton, it looks like there is a "31" written in the center of the upper most star. (Let me get a picture of that). Besides, that way you can see the reinforced corner.

So, Yes, I am ecstatic about this eBay find. (And yes, I do almost feel like I've taken somebody, which should make up for a time in the future when somebody takes me) There is a datestamp on the box of April 1973. Flag came in a plastic bag inside the box, don't know if that part is genuine, but I found it interesting the flag was folded into a triangle in the box.

TO our rep from flags.com - if csaanv hasn't run them off, The packing slip (it came in its original box with a packing slip), does indeed refer to the flag as a Type I Class 1.

And, now on to the visual part of this post:

The Flag:
    [​IMG]
    Flag of The United States - 50 Star - G-Spec - note the roped header. - Valley Forge Flag Co. by Coasterville, on Flickr

Star and Header Imprint:
    [​IMG]
    Flag of The United States - 50 Star - G-Spec Detail of Applique Star and Header imprint by Coasterville, on Flickr

Corner reinforcement and the "31" Star:
    [​IMG]
    Flag of the United States - 50 Star - G-Spec - detail of reinforced corner by Coasterville, on Flickr

The box is nothing special, just a plain cardboard box, and I do mean plain, however here is the box label, as well as what I am referring to as the packing slip:
    [​IMG]
    50 Star G-Spec Flag - Box Label and packing slip. by Coasterville, on Flickr
    note: the bottom line got cropped off, not a big deal the only thing legible is an "A" then further to the right is a datestamp of April 1973.

Cite Your Source:
    You know, you always wonder when people talk of great bargains or flea market finds, or what some would call jackpots. Here is the listing for said flag, which clearly shows the final selling price:

American Flag, Military issued in 1973 | eBay

16. csaanv

csaanv Member

Sweet! You definitely scored! I hope you realize they don't make U.S. flags like what you received anymore. They don't sew the stars on G-spec flags (or any US flag unless it is a huge size) anymore.
    Great deal my friend!
    mike

17. coasterville

coasterville Member

Interesting thing I noticed, I was showing the flag to someone this morning, with light behind it you can see a little "dot" in the same point on every star. I'm guessing that was a guide so the flag maker could properly place the stars before sewing.

18. csaanv

csaanv Member

Yes, those were the good old days of real flag making. Just a note the G-spec flags that VF sells to the public will not have the reinforcement patches like the ones they sell to the government.

19. coasterville

coasterville Member

Why do I get the impression your trying to tell me i lucked into a rather special flag? :).

20. csaanv

csaanv Member

I would say blessed. I live in Hampton Roads, (largest naval facility in the world) so they pop up in antique shops and flea markets every now and then but not in mint condition in their original box. I share in your good fortune.
    mike