Garden Flag Display at Half Staff

Discussion in 'Half Mast / Half Staff' started by Ed Kennedy, Aug 28, 2018.

1. Ed Kennedy

Ed Kennedy New Member

I have a small US Flag hanging from a garden flag post. What is the protocol for displaying this flag properly in honor of Sen John McCain?

2. David Wagner

David Wagner Member

Flags flown on poles affixed to a home or building are not to be flown at half staff but a memorial streamer can be affixed to the top of the flagpole to signify half staff.

Source: http://www.aflag.com/flag-etiquette/

3. FlagAdvocate

FlagAdvocate Member

0003506.jpeg
    Ed,
    This is what I would call a garden US flag post. Note that the field of stars should be at the end of the horizontal rod, not at the post end. The effect is the same as if you had a horizontal flag staff attached to a structure or a porch column. If a mourning streamer or ribbon were attached to signify the flag at half-staff, it should be attached to the horizontal rod at the field of stars end (at the peak of the staff). It would also be acceptable to place a second mourning streamer near the flag at the post end. Two streamers are often used to frame or flank an American flag hung either horizontally or vertically on a wall during half-staff tributes.

4. Ed Kennedy

Ed Kennedy New Member

Thanks for the reply...you have properly illustrated what I have and have answered my question.