German Flag at Half Mast on Pearl Harbor Day?

Discussion in 'Half Mast / Half Staff' started by PrintShopGirl, Dec 7, 2011.

1. PrintShopGirl

PrintShopGirl New Member

On my way to work this morning (in Florida) I drove past a building with the German Flag flying at half mast. I did not see a US flag near it, but I was driving and I suppose I could have missed it. I just wondered if anyone knew why someone would fly the German Flag at half mast in the United States on Pearl Harbor day?
  2. coasterville

coasterville Member

Subtle tribute to Animal House?

If you don't get it, towards the end of the movie, one of the frat brothers is trying to rally the troops with: "Over? Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor". One of the other characters whispers "Germans?" as if to correct him. He is countered with "don't stop him noe, he's on a roll"

After all, even though the Germans were a major player in WWII, we as a country were actually doing a good job minding our own business until the Japanese pulled that little stunt.

Did you notice if the building was some sort of German society paying tribute?

I was considering flying my WWII era 48 star flag today, but in the end the never ending rain in my area put the damper on that. (a 50 yr old plus cotton flag and rain is not a good combination. Seriously we are 30" over normal, set a new record for rainfall, and making sure the record sticks.

I put a photo of my 48 star flag on my Facebook profile, does that count as "virtually"'flying it? :).
  3. Robin Hickman

Robin Hickman Well-Known Member

I remember the movie, "Animal House". I remember that scene in "Animal House" you speak of. I even remember WHERE "Animal House" was filmed. :eek:

AND..... I have a Facebook page TOO !!! :D

Robin Hickman
    Eugene, Oregon, USA