Getting A Capitol Building Flag

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Flag Discussion' started by IErrantVentureI, Feb 18, 2009.

1. IErrantVentureI

IErrantVentureI New Member

Anyone ever gotten a flag that was flown over the U.S. Capitol Building? I'm looking into getting one for myself.

If you have, how quick did you get it?

What did your certificate say?

What date did you pick it to be flown on and why?

2. NAVA1974

NAVA1974 Active Member

Any citizen can purchase a US flag through their Senators or Representative and specify that it be flown over the capitol on any date four weeks in the future or later. Most Senate and House members have flag ordering info on their websites. Start at U.S. Senate or United States House of Representatives, 111th Congress, 1st Session (I hope you know the names of your Representative and Senators.) You also have to pay $4 to have the flag flown and certified, plus $4 for postage. Since the flag costs about one-quarter of retail it is still a bargain. I have had flags flown over the capitol for July 4, 1976, June 14, 1977, various presidential Inaugurations (not Obama, unfortunately), and the date that the 50-star flag became the longest serving flag in US History (July 4, 2007.) You cannot have a flag flown on any date in the past for pretty obvious reasons.