Getting out wrinkles and folds

Discussion in 'Flag Identification and Collecting' started by aalmcc4, Jan 5, 2014.

1. aalmcc4

aalmcc4 New Member

Hi all. I just joined this extremely interesting forum after being a lurker for quite some time. Great place.

I just got my first flag (that won't be flown) and had a question about it's care. It's a Detrras Bulldog Bunting 3'6" x 6'8" 48 star stamped VETERAN'S ADMIN. with what appears to be zinc(?) grommets. It has the sewn stars and stripes etc.

It is very clean with no stains/rips. However it has a lot of folds & wrinkles (I found/bought it folded properly) that I would like to get out.

I want to display it in my office/workshop with my other WWII/Korean War era things and if possible, get the wrinkles and folds out without damaging the flag in any way. I know they're a dime a dozen, but it's a real nice example and don't want to do anything to it that would damage it. I've wanted a nice 48 star for some time.

My first inclination was to just iron it, but better judgement sent me here to the experts. After all they're a dime a dozen NOW. I just don't want to ruin a piece of history, no matter how common now.

Thanks to all who can offer suggestions....

2. Robin Hickman

Robin Hickman Well-Known Member

Hi, "aalmcc4", and welcome to the USA-FLAG-SITE Forums!

I would think that ironing your Dettra "BULLDOG" (Cotton) "G-Spec" (U.S. Government Specifications) 48-Star American Flag with a Steam Iron would be perfectly "OK" as long as the correct temperature settings were used.

Another idea you might consider, is to see if you could get an "industrial" laundry service, like motels and hotel use, to iron your Flag using one of their large capacity machines. These machines are what is used to iron out large sheets, covers pillow cases, towels, etc. If you decide to try this idea, make sure you instruct them to NOT fold it when they're done!

While I've handled a great many Flags a great many times over the past 25 years I am NOT an "expert", per se, on the care and treatment of the fabrics used to make them. However, common sense tells me that a cotton Flag can be safely ironed by an "expert" using a properly maintained steam iron with the correct temperature settings. I'm guessing that you probably probably already knew that but, for safety's sake, you stopped by here to get an "outside" opinion about it.

We DO have Flag fabric & textile experts who are members here who would know far better than I the best course of action for you to take. So, keep checking back to see what the "consensus of opinion" is regarding the removal of your Flag's wrinkles & creases. BTW: they might even be able to offer you some excellent advice as how to best mount and display your Flag!

Best of luck to you, and Thank You for bringing your Flag-related question to our Forums!

Robin ("I Don't Make Flags, I Just Fly Them!") Hickman
    Eugene, Oregon, USA.