Gold Fringe on American Flag

Discussion in 'US Flag Specs and Design' started by wilfred cosgrove, Nov 17, 2009.

1. wilfred cosgrove

wilfred cosgrove New Member

Why the Gold fringe on American flags? It's not just decorative. I know it has a special meaning. Can anyone help clarify it for me? Wilfred C.

2. Peter Ansoff

Peter Ansoff USA Flag Site Admin

Why the Gold fringe on American flags? It's not just decorative. I know it has a special meaning. Can anyone help clarify it for me? Wilfred C.

Your information is not correct. The gold fringe is purely decorative. There is no law, regulation or custom that assigns it any symbolic meaning. If you would like more details about this, please read the other threads here on this topic.

Peter Ansoff

3. Robin Hickman

Robin Hickman Well-Known Member

Hello, Wilfred Cosgrove ! :D

Welcome to the USA-Flag-Site Forums !

QUOTE : "Why the Gold fringe on American flags? It's not just decorative. I know it has a special meaning. Can anyone help clarify it for me?"

Why, Yes, as a matter of fact, the Gold Fringe that is attached to many flags (American and others) IS purely decorative!

Personally, I don't know if the "extra" stuff is really needed. I doubt it, but a number of people DO seem to like it, be they public or private, personal or corporate, Conservative or Liberal.

I guess attaching a Gold Fringe and Gold Tassels to the American Flag, or any other flag, is something like putting the flag into a "dress uniform". It's not really for "every day". More like it is for a more "formal" special occassion.

Mr. Cosgrove, if you look through the threads in this Forum, "U.S. Flags Specs & Design", there are at least EIGHT (8) separate threads that refer to this subject (Gold Fringe on the American Flag). Please read each and every entry in each and every thread. You'll find out a LOT of interesting things. Most notably, you'll find out that the Gold Fringe that is sometimes used to decorate Flags is ONLY that - a DECORATION. :D

See ?

Robin Hickman :cool:

4. Peter Ansoff

Peter Ansoff USA Flag Site Admin

My favorite analogy is that the fringe is like a picture frame. The frame is not part of the picture itself, but it draws attention to the picture and makes it more attractive.

Peter A.