gold fringe

Discussion in 'US Flag Specs and Design' started by cw3armyone, Oct 18, 2006.

1. cw3armyone

cw3armyone Guest

Where did the gold fringe come from around the flag and what does it mean, if anything at all.

2. NAVA1974

NAVA1974 Active Member

It is just a decoration and has no meaning whatsoever. A flag with fringe is identical in meaning to a flag without fringe. There are some anti-government groups that assign a sinister militaristic meaning to fringed flags, but they are just nuts.

3. when i was in the USA (at thanksgiving (my 1st- as i live in England and we dont have thanksgiving here) i was stayin with my friend in Kentucky and her family came round and couple had been in the armed services... i had my flag that i bought set up- an indorr flag set with fringed flag and pole and the guy whod been in the armed services told me i shouldent have the flag at all becaus fringed flags were only for military use.... - id read previously that anybody hcan own fringed flags... he later had a go at me because one of my other small flags i had had touched the ground by accident and he said i have to burn it. - but again id read that so long as i washed the flag clean it would be fine.
    he made me feel very uncomfortable and because i was a guest at the house i didnt say anything back to him as to my research being different to what hed said.

i guess its also kinda weird for me to be adhering to a flag code because in England we dont have a code for our flag. it is left to our common sense to display it correctly and not put it in a situation where it can get dirty or torn.

4. Peter Ansoff

Peter Ansoff USA Flag Site Admin

the guy whod been in the armed services told me i shouldent have the flag at all becaus fringed flags were only for military use....

As Nick pointed out above, this is complete nonsense. There is nothing that restricts fringed flags to military use, and they are routinely used in other contexts. To name just one example, US State Department regulations (FAM 2-150) specify that US flags displayed indoors in US Embassies and Consulates should have a "gilt fringe."

he later had a go at me because one of my other small flags i had had touched the ground by accident and he said i have to burn it.

It sounds like your friend needs a lesson in manners as well as common sense.

Regards,

Peter Ansoff

5. oh lol hes definatly not my friend!! he was a relative of my friend..... i knew what he told me was untrue. but where did he get his information from?? is this what ppl in the armed services get told?

6. birchbeer

birchbeer New Member

the gold fring represents the illegal qusi goverment of dc. ie the united states of america incorporated. an unregistered corp made in england for the large banking cartels,. watch empire of the city on google.

7. u really dont have a clue do u!

8. NAVA1974

NAVA1974 Active Member

Sorry birchbeer, but you have been fooled by an urban legend. The presence or absense of fringe on any flag is absolutely meaningless. Fringe is merely a decorative feature, most often used on indoor flags, or on flags carried in parades. Fringe is not used on flags flown from poles as it would tear off pretty quickly. Someone probably got this hair-brained idea when they observed that flags in courtrooms, police stations, and other government offices were fringed, but flags flying over businesses and private homes did not have fringe.

9. - its amazing what ridiculus stuff people think up!!

hows u NAVA ?- longtime no see!

tis very post is my 200th one aswell yay wow i come to this site too much lol

10. I love to sew

I love to sew New Member

Hello Everyone

What is the proper way in sewing fringe on a flag at the bottom of each corner?

11. chris_ryan07

chris_ryan07 New Member

I know this is old and people are probably tired of hearing about it but I'm tired of reading all the nonsense from people not knowing and throwing in their own ideas. Here is some kinda shocking information on the truth of the matter behind the Gold Fringe on the American flag. Some were pretty close with the military.
    Just go to this link and read the info for yourself Get That Gold Fringe Off My Flag!

12. Peter Ansoff

Here is some kinda shocking information on the truth of the matter behind the Gold Fringe on the American flag.

The only thing that is shocking about that information is that anybody would really take it seriously. The link is to the site of something called the "American Patriot Friends Network." It's a long, disorganized, rambling and mostly incoherent rant. However, many of the quotes there will be familiar to members of this forum, because previous posters have repeatedly cut and pasted them into their posts.

I'm tired of reading all the nonsense from people not knowing and throwing in their own ideas.

Me too!! (-;

Peter Ansoff

13. Robin Hickman

Robin Hickman Well-Known Member

We might have to start a whole new forum category to "deal" with this subject matter (ie. "Gold Fringe"). ;)

We could call it (Drum Roll, Please.....), "The Lunatic Fringe". :eek:

OR . . . . .

Maybe not . . . . . :cool:

Robin "I Once Rode In A Surrey With A Fringe On Top" Hickman :D

14. CMSskip

CMSskip New Member

From Annin Flag Company;
    These American flags are designed for display either indoors or in parades.
    Because the fringe is not color fast to the elements nor stitched to withstand windy conditions we recommend that they not be used as outdoor flags.

Made for Indoor or Parade.

15. Robin Hickman

Robin Hickman Well-Known Member

QUOTE (From Annin & Co. Regarding Gold Fringe) : "Because the fringe is not color fast to the elements nor stitched to withstand windy conditions we recommend that they not be used as outdoor flags."

Hmmmm..... :cool:

This could be that start of a whole NEW conspiracy theory for the "Lunatic Fringe" to indulge themselves in ! :cool:

RUN FOR YOUR LIVES !!! :eek:

Robin Hickman :D

16. thoreau

thoreau New Member

Sorry NAVA but you guessed wrong!
    The gold fringe has great significance. I guess president Eisenhower was being hare-brained when he penned executive order no. 10834.

President, Dwight David Eisenhower, by Executive Order No.10834, signed on August 21, 1959 and printed in the Federal Register at 24 F.R. 6865, pursuant to law, stated that: "A military flag is a flag that resembles the regular flag of the United States, except that it has a yellow fringe border on three sides."

It's better to do a small amount of research than to guess and risk spreading ignorance.

17. Peter Ansoff

Hello, Thoreau,

President, Dwight David Eisenhower, by Executive Order No.10834, signed on August 21, 1959 and printed in the Federal Register at 24 F.R. 6865, pursuant to law, stated that: "A military flag is a flag that resembles the regular flag of the United States, except that it has a yellow fringe border on three sides."

Please do us all a favor, and read Executive Order 10834 -- it's available online in several places. When you read it, you will discover that your quote is fake. The EO does not say anything at all about fringes.

It's better to do a small amount of research than to guess and risk spreading ignorance.

I agree, and I strongly suggest that you take your own advice. You can start right here in the US flag form -- the subject has been dicussed extensively in several threads.

Peter Ansoff

18. NAVA1974

NAVA1974 Active Member

Way to go, Peter!:D

Happy Labor Day holiday to all.:cool:

Nick

19. thoreau

thoreau New Member

Hold it you guys! Not so fast with the toothy grin and backslapping this isn't settled yet.

It seems that the Executive Order in question,EO10834,dealt mainly with Hawaiis' admittance to the union, but it also had a plethora of sections attached to it.
    All of those sections are not included in the available version and I'm suspecting that the military flag description is among the missing sections.

So now where is it...the complete original?;);)

20. NAVA1974

NAVA1974 Active Member

Ok,
    The Executive Order 10834 is on the US Archives web site at:
    Executive Orders

And the word "fringe" is not found anywhere. That is the original Executive Order. You are correct, however, that the EO does reference other material that was incorporated by reference into the EO.

The drawing that is referenced may be seen at:

US Flag Specifications and Digital Artwork

There is no mention of fringe on this drawing either.

You have to get all the way down to the Department of Defence directive, also included on that website, before you see fringe metioned. Here is that text:

"Yellow 65001 For fringe when applicable"

That is the color specification - the only place in this continum where fringe is mentioned. No where along the way is there any indication that fringed flags are reserved for the Department of Defence, or required for DOD or armed forces flags nor anything else about the use of fringe on flags. The significance of fringe is not discussed for the simple reason that there IS no significance to fringe.
    Nick