Good and bad flag etiquette

Discussion in 'US Flag Display' started by paultreacy, Mar 14, 2008.

1. paultreacy

paultreacy New Member

Hello

I'm a photojournalist based in New York City and I've just published a book on flag etiquette that I've been working on since 1994. It looks at flag etiquette in New York, both good and bad examples. It addresses many of the issues discussed in this forum. (I'm new here and I'll be back.)

[​IMG]

Below is an excerpt from the introductory text, should anyone be interested.

First and foremost, I'm a street photographer. Much of the work I make on the streets is while I'm on my way to an assignment, or to the grocery store, or to pick up my youngsters from school. All the while I have a camera. I cannot leave home without one. Many of the images in this book were made while undertaking such everyday errands.
    Over the years many themes have emerged from my street photography and this project is one of them.
    I come from a country where the flag, the Irish tri-color, is, for the most part, treated with upmost respect. Given our troubled history it's no surprise.
    When I arrived in New York City, I was immediately taken aback at the ubiquity of the Stars & Stripes. Many of the ways it was flown and otherwise displayed I felt were rather odd. I began to wonder about the extent to which people are aware of the protocol. This project observes both good and bad examples of US flag etiquette.
    Thank you for your interest.
    Paul Treacy

For more details and to see a preview of the book, please visit;
    PHOTOHUMORIST.COM

Thank you for your time.

Email me if you like.

2. Peter Ansoff

Peter Ansoff USA Flag Site Admin

Welcome, Paul!

That sounds like a pretty interesting project. Do you know yet what the publication date will be for the book?

I'm continually intrigued by people who obviously think that they're being patriotic by displaying the flag, but don't have any sense of how to do it appropriately. In the months after 9/11, I noticed many flags on cars, in particular, that were tattered, filthy rags. Right here on my desk, I have a flag lapel pin that the USO sent out as a fundraising premium -- it has a scroll with "USO" in the middle of the flag, which is a rather obvious violation of the flag code.

Peter Ansoff

3. sounds good??

is it out yet?

can i buy online with paypal somewhere and have it shipped to me in england?

4. paultreacy

paultreacy New Member

Thank you for your interest in my book. It's available HERE.
    You can preview the entire book HERE.
    Larger photos can be seen HERE.

[​IMG]

I've been working on this project since 1994 and began the book project in the later part of 2007.

Please don't hesitate to contact me with any suggestions or comments.
    photo@paultreacy.com

Many thanks.

Paul Treacy
    PHOTOHUMORIST.COM