Half Mast Display Question

Discussion in 'Half Mast / Half Staff' started by GCLARK, Apr 17, 2010.

1. GCLARK

GCLARK New Member

I work at a small town fire department where we obviously display a flag. We recently had a remodel and our flag pole is now a couple feet away from the building. When the flag is flown at half mast the flag rests on the roof of the building. I have been flying it just high enough that it does not touch the roof, but that is not a true half mast. Is this okay, or should it be at half mast? I am sure the obvious answer here is to move the flag pole, but that is not an option.

2. Robin Hickman

Robin Hickman Well-Known Member

GREETINGS, GCLARK !!! :D

Welcome to the USA-Flag-Site Forums !!!

QUOTE : "When the flag is flown at half mast the flag rests on the roof of the building. I have been flying it just high enough that it does not touch the roof, but that is not a true half mast. Is this okay, or should it be at half mast?"

If you would like the opportunity to figure this out for yourself, and to be able to show others the justification of your reasoning, you may read through the U.S. Flag Code (which is part of the U.S. Code) at the following webpage :

http://www.ushistory.org/betsy/flagcode.htm

The "short" answer here is that you seem to have found the "correct" balance between honoring the subject (person) of the "half-staffing" by lowering the Flag as much as is possible while respecting the Flag by not allowing it to come in contact with (and resting on) the building's roof.

[ BTW : On LAND it it known as "Half-STAFF", on a ship at SEA it's known as "Half-MAST". ] :cool:

You can check the "correctness" of my "short" answer with what is written in the Flag Code, and then make up your own mind. You might even want to find a "printable" copy of the Flag Code so that it will be on hand for whomever would like to read it. Who knows, it might even be used to convince the "powers that be" to properly re-locate the flagpole ?!?!?! :eek:

I hope this has been of some help to you. I'm sure that there will probably be others who will share their thoughts on this too.

BTW : Do you have any pictures of the flagpole & Flag (especially at half-staff) that you can share with us here???

Thank You for bringing your Flag-related question to our Forums !!! :D

Robin Hickman
    Eugene, Oregon,. USA

3. GCLARK

GCLARK New Member

Thanks for the info.

This Q is part of a larger project in developing flag etiquette SOP here at the FD.

I am located in Montana now, but am a native Oregonian, and graduated from U of O, so glad to see a fellow Oregonian here.

Go Ducks!