Half Mast for Pearl Harbor Day? And how to "lower" a flag that can't be lowered to half?

Discussion in 'Half Mast / Half Staff' started by Jenesis76, Dec 6, 2013.

1. Jenesis76

Jenesis76 New Member

I read that tomorrow, Pearl Harbor Day, calls for flags to be displayed at half mast. Our flag that we display on a short pole at our home can't be lowered or raised. I also read that I can put a black mourning ribbon on a permanently fixed flag for half-mast days. Is Pearl Harbor Day a half-mast day, and where would I find a "mourning ribbon"? And if flags are flying at half mast now for Nelson Mandela, does that supersede Pearl Harbor Day somehow?

2. amshockeyfan

amshockeyfan New Member

The Ensign flying half-staff for Nelson Mandela was via Presidential Proclamation in honor of a Fallen former Foreign Dignitary. Dec. 7 (Pearl Harbor Remembrance Day) is listed as a day that the flag is to be posted to half-staff.

The U.S. Flag Code states "In the event of the death of other officials or foreign dignitaries, the flag is to be displayed at half-staff according to Presidential instructions or orders, or in accordance with recognized customs or practices not inconsistent with law."

There is no superseding one over the other as the two coincide with one another via the date.

3. FlagAdvocate

FlagAdvocate Member

Hi Jenesis76---HAPPY NEW YEAR!

I concur with amshockeyfan's response. As to the black mourning ribbon, the American Legion suggests that for flags that can't be lowered, such as those on many homes, attaching a black ribbon or streamer to the top of the flag staff (not the flag itself) is an acceptable alternative to lowering the flag to half-staff. The ribbon should be the same width as a stripe on the flag and the same length as the flag. Most flag companies sell mourning ribbons or you can buy the material at your local cloth store.

The next reoccurring national half-staff date is May 15th to mark Peace Officers Memorial Day. Expect a Presidential Proclamation a few days in advance of May 15th.

To a proper flag display,
    Bill Jameson
    Vet & Flag Advocate