half mast/staff

Discussion in 'Half Mast / Half Staff' started by jcrouse3, Jul 13, 2009.

1. jcrouse3

jcrouse3 New Member

Which U.S. Military vessel lowers its flag in the morning and raises it the evening?

2. NAVA1974

NAVA1974 Active Member

Any vessel that is under orders to fly a flag at half-mast would raise the flag to the peak at morning colors, then lower it to the half-mast elevation until evening when the flag would be again raised to the peak, then lowered and removed from the halyard.
    Nick

3. Robin Hickman

Robin Hickman Well-Known Member

Hello, jcrouse3 ! :D

Welcome to the USA-Flag-Site Forums !

QUOTE : "Which U.S. Military vessel lowers its flag in the morning and raises it the evening?" (Emphasis Added) :confused:

I think Nick (NAVA1974) pretty much hit the nail on the head when he wrote (QUOTE) : "Any vessel that is under orders to fly a flag at half-mast would raise the flag to the peak at morning colors, then lower it to the half-mast elevation until evening when the flag would be again raised to the peak, then lowered and removed from the halyard." (Emphasis Added) ;)

About the only thing that I would add would be to suggest that Nick's observation would probably apply ONLY to those U.S. Military vessels that were "at anchor" and/or "in port". I use the qualifier "probably", because I don't know for sure IF any such "half-staff" order would apply to U.S. Military vessels that were "underway" (ie. "at sea"). :cool:

Robin Hickman

4. Milbo

Milbo New Member

I got posed the question by my chief.....

"What VESSEL Lowers the Ensign in the morning & Raises it in the evening?"

The answer is not a flag at half mast. Ive spent days trying to locate the answer.