half-mast

Discussion in 'Half Mast / Half Staff' started by huskers1494, Nov 25, 2007.

1. huskers1494

huskers1494 Guest

I have noticed flags flying at half-mast on my trip home to Nebraska this weekend. Does anyone know why flags would be at half-mast in Kansas, Iowa, and Missouri?

Thanks

2. kate

kate Guest

It may be that the states you were passing through were honoring fallen heros from the IRAQ war. For example in my home state we will be flying the flag at half mast for 3 consecutive days beginning Wednesday to honor 3 separate heros who have returned home. Hope this helps.

3. CharlieHenderson

CharlieHenderson New Member

Do you lower the flag to half-mast on Memorial Day??

4. charlie - Yes -

in the mornign raise the flag to the top of the pole - pause for a second or 2 - then lower to half staff and keep it there till noon -

at noon - raise the flag to the top of the pole and leave it there for the rest of the day

5. Luke Reuter

Luke Reuter New Member

This is a more general question. I see flags at half mast from time to time and wonder why. Is there site somewhere (on the national level, at least) I can go to and see why? Does anyone know if Washington State has a similar authority?

6. Peter Ansoff

Peter Ansoff USA Flag Site Admin

Hi, Luke,

Is there site somewhere (on the national level, at least) I can go to and see why?

At the federal level, the decision to half-mast the flag is made by presidental proclamation. You can view presidental proclamations on the White House web site at:

Proclamations Issued by President Bush

Does anyone know if Washington State has a similar authority?

Yes, state governors also have the that authority under the flag code. You might look around the Washington State governor's web site to see if there's a section on proclamations.

Peter Ansoff

7. Mike Svaby

Mike Svaby New Member

How long after a tragic death on the job should an employer wait to return the flag to full staff?

8. Mike - Really the employer should not be lowering the US flag.- it should be kept at full mast...

the employeer could pull the company flag to half staff thouigh - the length of time for that would be up to him

9. raist231

raist231 New Member

Does any one know of any flag protocol regarding company flags being lowered to half mast? my boss asked me to research this topic and all I can find is info on US and flags from other countries.

Would it be appropriate to lower a company flag for any other reason besides an employee death? ie. employee injury

Thanks in advance. Your help is much appreciated.

10. your company may do as it pleases with its own flag.

usually a flag is flown at half mast to mark a death or the anniversary of somebodies death... so i would say that he should leave the flag at the top of the pole and send the employee a get well card!