Half-Staff on 9-11-10

Discussion in 'Half Mast / Half Staff' started by Peter Ansoff, Sep 11, 2010.

1. Peter Ansoff

Peter Ansoff USA Flag Site Admin

The US flag is flown at half-staff each year on September 11, which is designated as "Patriot Day and National Day of Service and Rememberence." President Obama issued a proclamation on 10 September 10 announcing this, which you can read here: Presidential Proclamation--Patriot Day and National Day of Service and Remembrance | The White House

This applies to flags that are flown on poles with halyards. Flags that are permanently attached to their poles (like the ones flown on many residences and carried in parades) do not need to be half-staffed.

Peter Ansoff

2. Robin Hickman

Robin Hickman Well-Known Member

QUOTE : " Flags that are permanently attached to their poles (like the ones flown on many residences and carried in parades) do not need to be half-staffed."

True. However if one wants to show they are in mourning or wants to pay their respects, a reasonable alternative to half-staffing is to tie a "mourning" ribbon or bow to the top of the stationary flagpole.

I have seen some mourning bows that are very ornate. But as long as you're respectful, I'd think "simple" is okay too!

When I use a mourning "ribbon" it with a 3'x5' Flag. The ribbon is actually about 5' or 6' long. I fold it in half so that there are two 2.5' or 3' "streamers" showing.

I don't know if there is any "proper" etiquette for mourning ribbons, or not. My sense is that the ribbon should be no longer that the Flag it is accompanying. Thus, a 3'x5' Flag would have a mourning ribbon no longer than 5 feet.

Robin Hickman
    Eugene, Oregon, USA

3. Bergschlawiner

Bergschlawiner New Member

Checked my local town and not one single school had their flag lowered to half-staff today.