Half staff on a building

Discussion in 'Half Mast / Half Staff' started by Doug Smith, Jul 25, 2015.

1. Doug Smith

Doug Smith New Member

I am setting up a ceremony for 9/11 but due to construction at our facility, there isn't a flag pole. So we are considering using the side of one of the buildings and draping the flag. How should the lowering to half staff be done?
    Thank you

2. Peter Ansoff

Peter Ansoff USA Flag Site Admin

Hello, Doug -- welcome to the forum!

we are considering using the side of one of the buildings and draping the flag. How should the lowering to half staff be done?

The rules for half-staffing apply only to flags that are flown from halyards. There's no requirement to half-staff a flag that is directly attached to the pole, or displayed in another way as in your case, because there is no practical way to do it. When the flag is fixed on its pole, one way to indicate mourning is to fly a black ribbon on the staff above the flag. Perhaps you could work out a way to attach such a ribbon to the wall right above the hoist, so that it would hang down beside the flag. In some foreign countries, ribbons are pinned directly to the flag; however, the US flag code discourages that idea.

3. Nam1Vet

Nam1Vet New Member

Can you use the other insert on the post holder which is the 90* angle for half mass?

4. Peter Ansoff

Peter Ansoff USA Flag Site Admin

Can you use the other insert on the post holder which is the 90* angle for half mass?

You can do that, of course, but most people probably won't recognize it as being at half mast. It's fairly common to display flags from fixed staffs at a 90 degree angle -- you see it in international airports, for example.

This thread:

http://www.usa-flag-site.org/forum/threads/flags-half-staff.9422/

Includes a couple of posts by a member who came up with an interesting solution to this problem -- he designed an angled pole with a telescoping top that could raised above the top of the flag. Instead of lowering the flag, he raises the pole!

5. stevendom

stevendom New Member

I found that my staff was in two parts. I removed the piece below the flag and inserted it above the flag, with the finial on top. That way I simulate a half-staff without any work.