Half-staff on angled display

Discussion in 'Half Mast / Half Staff' started by SKeefe, Jan 3, 2007.

1. SKeefe

SKeefe Guest

If a flag is being displayed at a 45degree angle on a front porch, what is the proper way to put it at half-staff?

2. NAVA1974

NAVA1974 Active Member

Center the flag on the angled pole.

3. 4511-21

4511-21 New Member

My flag is also displayed off the front of my house at a 45 degree angle with a short pole (maybe 5 feet long). There is no way to fly the 3x5 flag lower than it already is or it would hit the building. Someone has suggested that a black streamer be placed on it. I have read (can't find it now) that flying the Union down would be acceptable on short 45 degree displays. However, I think that would freak some people out and makes me uncomfortable too!

Is it better not to fly the flag at all on days where it should be at half-staff...or fly it as I always do? Thanks for everyone's help.

4. hi there 4511
    welcome to the forum

flying the flag union down is a distress signal - its not a replacemet at all for half staff... i dont know where you read that but they obviously did not read the flag code !

The black streamer would be an appropriate thing to use on half staff days

A flag shop website selling the black streamers-
    Flag and Banner .com - Purchase American flags, banners, flag poles and custom banners online.

if its a choice between flying the flag and not flying the flag and you dont have a black streamer - just fly it as you always do
    Hope that helps