Half-staff question

Discussion in 'Half Mast / Half Staff' started by EmailPoster, Jun 6, 2006.

1. EmailPoster

EmailPoster New Member

If you have both an american flag and the pow flag flying and you are asked to fly the american...

2. ACottrell

ACottrell Guest

Rene,

This is a common question and one that is debatable. While there isn't a specific Flag Code regulation about flying an American flag solo while it is at half-staff, some feel it is most traditional and preferable. However, there may be times when you feel a POW flag is warranted for the occasion. Just like a state flag on the pole with an American flag, it is up to your discretion whether or not to fly both at half-staff.

3. icequeen36

icequeen36 Guest

I believe the American Flag should be flown at half-mass alone. I think the whole concept of flying the American Flag is one of respect, however so is the Pow flag. I think it is up to the individual, but I myself would prefer one to be removed to avoid any confusion or to display both at half-staff.

4. dches

dches New Member

US Flag, POW Flag

I have been told a number of times by some Veterans Groups that the POW - MIA Flag is the ONLY Flag that can be flown at Half Staff with the American Flag. Don't ask me where that comes from, but I have heard it several times. I belong to an Elks Lodge in NH and we do fly the POW-MIA flag at half staff with the American Flag, whenever it is a half-staff day. The POW-MIA flags at all times with the American Flag at our Lodge.