Halloween Parade

Discussion in 'Other Flags' started by p99d5, Oct 16, 2007.

1. p99d5

p99d5 Guest

Our Cub Scout Pack is participating in the local Halloween Parade. The boys will be walking (in costume) behind a pickup truck. We want to display the US flag, our state flag, and our Pack flag in the bed of the truck. I have agreed to build something to hold the flags.

What is the correct arrangement of the flags? Can the US flag be centered in front of the other flags even though we are not technically marching? Or should it be on the marching right? Also, can the flags be angled towards the back of the truck?

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

2. Peter Ansoff

Peter Ansoff USA Flag Site Admin

Hello, Bob -- welcome!

The rule of thumb is that the US flag should take precedence over the other flags. That can be done by making it higher than the others, in front of the others, or (if the flags are in a line at the same height) to the right of the others, as viewed from the back of the truck. Generally, when the poles are not the same height, the highest pole goes in the middle. I can't see anything wrong with angling them, as long as the poles are long enough to prevent them from brushing the ground or the truck.

My suggestion would be either 1) all three poles in a line right behind the cab, with the US flag in the middle on a higher pole, the state flag on the right and the pack flag on the left or 2) the poles in a triangle shape in the truck bed, with the US flag in front, the state flag on the right rear and the pack flag on the left rear. In the case of 2), the US flag's pole could be either the same height as the others or higher -- whichever looks good.

A variation on 1) might be to use poles that are all the same height, but to angle the state and pack flags outwards to create a "fan" effect. The US flag would still have precedence because it would be higher than the other flags.

Could you take us a picture of what you work out, and post it here?

Best,

Peter Ansoff

3. p99d5

p99d5 Guest

Thank you very much for the information. I think I will go with the triangle arrangement.

The US flag will be centered in the truck, on the tallest pole, towards the front of the truck, and angled back. The other flags will be towards the back of the truck and angled both back (at a steeper angle) and outward to create the fan effect. I think that was a great idea. The only thing I want to confirm is the location of the state and pack flag. When you say the state flag should be in the right rear, would that be the passenger or driver's side of the truck?

I would be happy to post pictures.

4. Peter Ansoff

Peter Ansoff USA Flag Site Admin

When you say the state flag should be in the right rear, would that be the passenger or driver's side of the truck?

It should be on the passenger's side, which is the right side as viewed from behind the truck. Again, the reasoning is that the state flag has precedence over the pack flag, and the right side is the position of honor. (I believe that this custom goes back to Roman times -- when the legions lined up for inspection, the senior legion was positioned on the right of the formation.)

Looking forward to seeing the photos!

Peter Ansoff