Hanging Flag From Equipment

Discussion in 'US Flag Display' started by finiti, Jul 3, 2014.

1. finiti

finiti New Member

We have a farm machinery lot along a highway and in honor of the 4th of July we would like to extend the 120' wide sprayer booms and display a 5'x8' American flag on each end hanging vertically with the stars to the viewers left. Basically they will just hang there with nothing behind them...much the way they hang flags from a bridge, etc. I wasn't sure if this is proper etiquette so I thought I would ask. I also have solar lights to illuminate them overnight

Below is a picture of what the sprayer looks like with the booms unfolded. It will be facing the highway and they will be raised all the way up so each end is about 20' in the air. Please let me know if this is okay or not as I don't want to do anything that will upset others and appear disrespectful to the flag. Thanks in advance!

r4045_sprayer_large.jpg

2. Peter Ansoff

Peter Ansoff USA Flag Site Admin

Greetings, finiti!

If I understand right, you'd have the flags attached to the booms along their hoists, and the booms would be at an angle of about 20 degrees from the horizontal. In this case, I would recommend that you hang both flags with the blue unions facing tips of the booms, instead of following the "viewers left" rule. Otherwise, the flag on the viewer's right will look like it's upside down. Other than that, this sounds great! Is there any chance that you could post another photo once you have it set up?

3. finiti

finiti New Member

I appreciate the input! Please let me know how this looks and if we need any changes....we have solar lights under each flag that illuminates upward that turn on at dark. Sorry for the grainy photo...it was just starting to get dark this evening as we were setting it up. Thanks again Peter!
    IMG_3291-001 (Small).JPG

4. finiti

finiti New Member

One more photo from dusk.

IMG_3287 (Small).JPG

5. Peter Ansoff

Peter Ansoff USA Flag Site Admin

Looks great to me! I especially like your display, because my wife is from a small town in Iowa and her dad worked at John Deere for many years. Happy 4th!