Hanging flag

Discussion in 'US Flag Display' started by Steve frazee, Sep 3, 2010.

1. Steve frazee

Steve frazee New Member

I have read the post about hanging a flag indoors, but I want to confirm something, For Vetrans Day our Church will be hanging two flags vertically, one from WWI and one from WWII. They will be hung at the front of the church one on each side of a center asile. I assume that the blue field should be at the viewers left on each side of the asile (both flags facing the same direction). Thanks, Steve

2. Robin Hickman

Robin Hickman Well-Known Member

Hello, Steve Frazee !!! :D

Welcome to the USA-Flag-Site Forums !!! :D

QUOTE : "I have read the post about hanging a flag indoors, but I want to confirm something, For Vetrans Day our Church will be hanging two flags vertically, one from WWI and one from WWII. They will be hung at the front of the church one on each side of a center asile. I assume that the blue field should be at the viewers left on each side of the asile (both flags facing the same direction). Thanks, Steve

Yes, Steve, that is correct. The Blue, Star-filled, Union should be to its own upper right, which would be to the viewers' upper left. This is true whether the U.S. Flag is shown vertically or horizontally.

I'm assuming that both Flags will be of the 1912-1959 48-Star variety, since that was the number of States in the Union during both World Wars (and the Korean War too) and thus the same number of Stars in the Flag's Union.

I hope you'll be able to honor ALL the Veterans of ALL the wars ("Hot" & "Cold"), including the most recent ones!

Perhaps a 48-Star Flag and a 50-Star Flag? :cool:

(I'm not trying to slight those that served during the one year that the 49-Star Flag was "official" (7-04-1959 to 7-03-1960). But in all likelyhood, those folks' on active duty served before, during, and after the 49-Star Flag was in effect.)

Just out of curiosity, are the two Flags that your Church is planning to hang actually from WWI and WWII? What size are they?

I hope I was able to help you out without mucking up things too badly! :eek:

Thank You for bringing your Flag-related question to our Forums !!!

Robin Hickman
    Eugene, Oregon, USA

3. Steve frazee

Steve frazee New Member

We found the flags in out archives room I have yet to take them out of their boxes. The notes on the outside of the boxes said each flag was flown at the church during WWI and WWII. As the Church is a 120 year old Presbyterian Church (we never throw anything away) I'm sure the info is correct. I agree with you a 100% about honoring all of our servicemen and we do have a flag in our church at all times. I thought that diplaying some of our Church history on such a day would be special.

4. watkeison

watkeison New Member

Steve, to properly display these Flags in this setting, hang the WWI representative Flag on the viewer's right, the WWII representative Flag next on the viewer's left of the first Flag and the present-day Flag on the far left from the viewer's position.
    Normally, day-to-day, only the 50-star version should be displayed on the left side of the altar/stage as seen from the audience and the church/Christian flag on the right side.
    Flag positions are determined on the Flag's own marching right ... those who have never marched in a military parade will be confused by that — view the Flags as soldiers in formation — the right is the honor position ... place the American Flag on the right side of the line (viewer's left) - or center front - and all other flags to the left of the "Main" flag...

y'all take care
    Bill Atkeison
    Veteran; Legal US Citizen