Hanging US flag with California Flag.

Discussion in 'Other US Flag Etiquette' started by afestrada, May 4, 2009.

1. afestrada

afestrada New Member

I teach at a school and we currently do not have flags hanging in our gym. We purchased both a US flag and California flag. We wanted to hang them on the wall. Can someone let me know what the proper etiquette for hanging the two flags together on a wall are. We were thinking of hanging them vertically if that is possible.

2. Peter Ansoff

Peter Ansoff USA Flag Site Admin

Greetings, afestrada -- welcome!

We purchased both a US flag and California flag. We wanted to hang them on the wall. Can someone let me know what the proper etiquette for hanging the two flags together on a wall are. We were thinking of hanging them vertically if that is possible.

Hanging flags vertically on a wall is very common, and looks good. The US flag should to the right of the California flag (the flag's own right, that is -- to the left of a viewer who is facing the wall), and the blue union should be on the right side (again, the viewer's left). The California flag should have the top facing to its own left (viewer's right), so that the words "California Republic" read correctly. It seems a bit strange that the US flag "faces"one way and the California flag the other, but that's the way they're supposed to be.

Could you take a picture of your display and post it here for us?

Peter Ansoff