HAPPY BIRTHDAY President LINCOLN !!!

Discussion in 'US Flag Display' started by Robin Hickman, Feb 12, 2011.

1. Robin Hickman

Robin Hickman Well-Known Member

HAPPY BIRTHDAY President LINCOLN !!! :D

To commemorate Abraham Lincoln's 202nd Birthday, I'm flying three Flags in front of my house today. They are (observers' left-to-right) our current National (U.S.) Flag (50 Stars), a reproduction of a 33-Star Fort Sumter Flag, and the Oregon State Flag.

I do not have a State of Kentucky flag to fly for where Mr. Lincoln was born; nor do I have an appropriate (flyable) Illinois State Flag for where he lived and worked for most of his life and is buried.

P1060374.JPG

P1060376.JPG

P1060379.JPG

I was saving the 33-Star Fort Sumter Flag to mark the 150th Anniversary of the start of the U.S. Civil War this coming April. But, this seemed to be an appropriate time to fly it too.

NOTE : The difference in the color between the two U.S. Flags is due to the fact that the 33-Star Fort Sumter Flag is a BRAND NEW printed nylon flag (made in USA) and 50-Star Flag is a printed nylon flag (Annin Sun-Glo) that has been flying out in front of my house on an almost daily basis since mid-June, 2008 !!! :eek:

Robin Hickman
    Eugene, Oregon, USA

2. wild-bill

wild-bill Member

Nice pictures Robin. Do you have any pics of a flag on a tall pole?

3. Robin Hickman

Hi, Wild-Bill !

I don't have a "tall" flagpole, unless you count a 16' telescoping pole that I bought on eBay last month, but haven't "set-up" yet (we're renting). Every other flagpole I have (well over 150) is between seven and eight feet long.

Here are a few of my Flags flying this past Independence Day (2010).

July4th2010-P1040995.JPG

July4th2010-P1040999.JPG

Here is a picture of some of the 3x5 Flags on their 7'-8' poles that "live" in my garage. They were all ready to go out "flying" on Memorial Day, 2009.

ReadyForMemorialDay-2009(600x450.JPG

Sometimes it rains here in western Oregon, like it did on Veterans' Day, 2009. When that happens, the Flags can get wet and need to be properly dried. That's when I "Hang 'Em High" in the garage with 5 or 6 big fans a-blowing!

FlagsDrying(2009-11-12).JPG

Although I don't "own" any "tall" flagpoles, I think I've taken a few pictures of them in my walks around my neighborhood in the past two years or so. Usually I take pictures of them because they look "good" or "not-so-good".

Do you want me to look for them?

Robin Hickman
    Eugene, Oregon, USA

4. wild-bill

wild-bill Member

"Do you want me to look for them?"

That would be great. Post them if you find them.

Is the property owner where you live gonna let you put up the 16' pole? I live with my grandmother and it's her house. She doesn't care, but is a bit concerned about what the neighbors will think about flags of other states and countries flying on the pole. But she worries about everything. And fortunately the deed restrictions say nothing about a flagpole. There a couple of houses here that have them.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2011
  5. Robin Hickman

Hey, Wild-Bill!

I don't think I'd get any grief from the property owner or property manager if I could figure out a way to put together a way to occasionally use the 16' telescopic pole in a "temporary" setting. However, I think that creating a "permanent" setting for it might cause some proplems.

We've lived here since August of 2004 and I have never heard from the property owners or managers about my many temporary Flags placements or my semi-permanent flagpole holder (pipe) next to my front entryway (concrete slab).

Here in our "local" and surrounding area there have been a couple of incidences of an apartment complex owner/manager giving a tenant some grief over flying an American Flag on their property. But once the media got a hold of the story and "went with it", all Hell broke loose and the tenants got to fly their Flags. I think I even posted a thread here somewhere about the last apartment complex "Flag Flap".

I like flying my Flags but I don't do it to cause "all Hell to break loose", if you know what I mean.

I found a couple of my "walking pictures" flagploe photos. Not necessarily the ones I want, but it's a start. I'll see if I can find a few more and post them tomorrow or the next day.

Robin Hickman
    Eugene, Oregon, USA