Having a color guard with a static flag display?

Discussion in 'US Flag Display' started by coaster, Aug 11, 2011.

1. coaster

coaster New Member

My son is planning a flag retirment ceremony. The location is a veterans memorial plaza that has a number of flags posted in a line, including the American flag in the middle (on a higher pole). Is it acceptable for a color guard to post the colors on the plaza infront of the flags already flying?

2. flagnazi

flagnazi Member

Hello Coaster. Thanks for joining in the Forum. It is one cool place. A whole bunch of other flagnazis here. I love it.
    Having been in this situation before, I believe it would be OK. I don't believe the flag code has anything that would oppose this.
    I would look at it this way, the preposted flags are in honor of the site, a Veterans memorial, the color guard would be posting as a part of the ceremony that is taking place.
    One other possibility is that you could use the existing flags on the existing poles as your color guard. Take them down prior to the ceremony and post them as part of the ceremony.
    This is probably too late for your ceremony but will be helpful in the future. It will be interesting to see what others have to say about this.

Mike Doyle
    Lava Hot Springs, ID