Help ID this flag

Discussion in 'Flag Identification and Collecting' started by Donnie P, Sep 10, 2008.

1. Donnie P

Donnie P New Member

Hi all, I have this 13 star flag that I know almost nothing about other than it was very old. Can anyone help ID / date this flag. ANY info would be great!! Thx...

Attached Files:

2. NAVA1974

NAVA1974 Active Member

I have an antique 13 star flag with the stars in the same arrangement. It is made of wool bunting, with 13 cotton stars sewn on each side of the canton using machine zig-zag stitching. The cotton heading has two brass grommets. The flag is one of the earliest examples of zig zag stitching and was made in conjunction with the Columbian World's Exposition in Chicago in 1893. That pattern of stars was very common on little printed flags made during the late 19th and early 20th C but was not common on larger sewn flags except for those like yours and mine, which measure about 2x3 feet. Does my flag meet the description of yours? Regards, Nick

3. NAVA1974

NAVA1974 Active Member

4. Wow Nick you have a very nice collection there!!!!!

i wish mine was like that!

I really like the pattern of these 2 13 star flags! i hope one day i will own one too!

5. NAVA1974

NAVA1974 Active Member

Would you like one of the little printed versions that measures 2x3 inches? It is mounted on a 6-inch long stick. I would be happy to trade for any flag related item of similar vintage from the UK (flag, book, brochure, etc.)

6. unfortunatly i dont have anything that old :(

7. Donnie P

Donnie P New Member

Hey NAVA1974, thx for the info...will give me a good place to start. I'll take a closer look at it and closer photos in a bit...