help identify my old US flag please

Discussion in 'Flag Identification and Collecting' started by pattonh, Sep 12, 2014.

1. pattonh

pattonh New Member

This flag has been in my family for at least three generations, not sure past that. It is 13 stars, but apparently machine stitched. I suspect it is a Navy flagship flag or a centennial flag.

Any information on its age, history, value, etc. will be appreciated.

The family name "Lindsley" is written at the side in what appears to be blue ballpoint ink (too bad, but oh well) and there is some sort of insignia stamped on it as well, a cross and number 3. It looks like an Army insignia.

Thank you very much for any help.

flag ID.jpg

2. csaanv

csaanv Member

Hi pattonh,
    Welcome to the forum. Without studing it up close and in person my initial thoughts are that it is a naval "boat" flag, these flags were used on smaller crafts and launches in 19th century and discontinued in the early 20th century. Then again it could be a centennial flag. Is Lindsley your family name? Otherwise it could be the name of a ship. Are the stars appliquéd to the material or dyed printed? Could you give us the size of the flag?
    Thanks!

3. pattonh

pattonh New Member

Thank you csaanv.

My flag is 18" x 36", the stripes and stars are appliqued rather than printed or dyed. Lindsley is my family name and the flag was sent to my father Addison Lindsley by a Lindsley aunt in Portland, Oregon, sometime after he married my mother (1939) and the aunt thought he would now be a responsible recipient of many of his deceased parents' antiques and heirlooms.

I appreciate you help in identifying the flag. I researched it many years ago when I first had access to the Internet and guessed that it must be a centennial flag or naval flagship flag, but I cannot verify either. The stitching is very exact and must have been machine stitched.