Help Identifying 13 Star Flag

Discussion in 'Flag Identification and Collecting' started by Leah B, Mar 22, 2018.

1. Leah B

Leah B New Member

Hello! I was hoping to get some more information on this 13 star flag that we found. I know it is not an original 13 star flag, but would like to narrow down the date since it does seem to be from the 1800's. There was a note with it that placed the owner of the flag having it in 1902. View attachment 2140 IMG_0483.JPG View attachment 2142 IMG_0486.JPG Pictures are included below and I really appreciate any information than can be given!

2. Two Fish Apparel

Two Fish Apparel New Member

Hello Leah,

This forum is usually much more lively. There are several experts who often lend their wisdom and even a couple who make their living buying, selling, or examining flags. I am not one of those people. I am an amateur too but I enjoy flag history and collecting and I have learned much from posts others have made over the years. I will give you my amateur evaluation of your flag, but hope that folks with more expertise also post to give you further information.

You can be sure that the flag is not an original Revolutionary War flag. The most obvious clue is the sewing machine stitching. Sewing machines were invented in 1846 but took another 15 or so years to become common. The second clue I see is the zig-zag stitching in five lines straight across the stars. I believe that method of attaching stars was invented by Henry Bowman. He submitted his patent in 1889 and it was accepted in 1892. From this and your note that the original flag owner had the flag in 1902, my best guess puts the flag origin date in a 10 year window between 1892 - 1902.

I can't read the maker's mark other than the 2x3 size. Perhaps others will recognize it and be able to tell you where the flag was sewn. I am curious to know myself. Have a wonderful day.

Last edited: May 18, 2018 at 2:27 PM
  3. Dexter Cole

Dexter Cole New Member

Looks like "Sterling" I agree with what David said.

4. Robin Hickman

Robin Hickman Well-Known Member

Hello!

"Sterling" was the brand (or model) name for Annin's wool bunting Flags way, w-a-y, back-in-the-day. Since the Flag's size, 2'x3', and the model name, "Sterling", are both stamped in black ink, your Flag might pre-date Annin's use of sewn-on labels and, of course, their use of two-color (red & blue) ink stamping.

Sorry that I wasn't able to be of more help!

Good Luck in solving your Flag's "mystery"!

Robin Hickman
    "Your Friendly Neighborhood Flag Man"
    Eugene, Oregon, USA.