Help me Identify this flag

Discussion in 'Flag Identification and Collecting' started by milehigh, Oct 4, 2011.

1. milehigh

milehigh New Member

Hi everyone,
    can anyone identify the flag in the attached photo? There is an american eagle in the field of blue, looking over it's left shoulder, holding a group of arrows pointing to it's right, with a semicircle of 13 stars over it's head and wings.
    Thank you,
    Len
    [​IMG] Keller

2. csaanv

csaanv Member

Hi Milehigh,
    Having the eagle with the shield surrounded by stars in the canton of the flag was a common motif in US flags possibly as early as 1784 to the Civil War. There were numerous variations with no standardization since the art work was left up to the flag maker. The Schuyler flag is the most famous eagle flag that I am familiar with but there are others. Is your flag made of linen?

3. milehigh

milehigh New Member

Thanks for your input. I'm not sure if the flag is linen as, up to now it's been encased in a glass frame. I'll check into it.
    LenK

4. Robin Hickman

Robin Hickman Well-Known Member

It "almost" looks like the flag of the City of Fremont, California. Didn't John C. Fremont himself have an eagle-in-the-union "American Flag" that he used for himself?

Robin Hickman
    Eugene, Oregon, USA

5. NAVA1974

NAVA1974 Active Member

That flag is a modern reproduction offered by the Gallery of the Republic in Texas. Don't know if that one is still featured on their web site or not. Just Google the gallery name.

Nick A
    Columbia. Md

6. NAVA1974

NAVA1974 Active Member

Actually, it is still for sale on their site:
    The Great Seal Flag, 1782

Nick A

7. milehigh

milehigh New Member

Thanks to everyone who helped in the identification of my flag.