Help Needed -- Flag Identification

Discussion in 'Flag Identification and Collecting' started by Peter Ansoff, Jul 20, 2007.

1. Peter Ansoff

Peter Ansoff USA Flag Site Admin

User "CHANCEOU812" sent this message to me privately because he was having trouble posting it in the form. Please respond to him in the forum:

i have a old flag given to me i would like to find out about it
    on the front of the box it says your flag!,live with the symbol of liberty
    on the side it says national distributors
    GENERAL FLAG COMPANY 230 FIFTH AVENUE new york city,
    its a american flag and eagle set#507 it says the copyright in 1943
    by the flag in every home committee i could not post a thread to
    find out can you help thanks jon

2. LASQUILT

LASQUILT New Member

Hello - We have one of the same! Have you found anything out about it? Thanks! Lauri

3. NAVA1974

NAVA1974 Active Member

Hello Jon,
    I find your question curious because the artifact itself gives you much more information than comes with 99% of antique American flags!

Manufacturer: General Flag Company
    Sponsor: The Flag in Every Home Committee

Clearly this is a WWII effort by a group to foster patriotism by making affordable flag kits so that "Every Home" in America can display the stars and stripes. There were no poles in these kits because the flag was supposed to hang from the eagle, which was affixed to the wall.

I guess the one thing that is unknown is the value. On eBay these sets sell in the $10 to $20 range as the 48-star flag is quite common and the eagle, usually plastic, is not a big selling point. There don't seem to be enough collectors of "WW II Home Front Propaganda" collectibles to push the price up any higher.

Nick

4. LASQUILT

LASQUILT New Member

Thank you this is great information, just what we were looking for! God Bless! Lauri