Help please with 2 Star US Navy Rear Admiral Flag

Discussion in 'Flag Identification and Collecting' started by datscold, Nov 27, 2013.

1. datscold

datscold New Member

Hi all. I found this at a thrift shop. It's folded up in a shadow box. The box is ~2'x4'. I opened the back but did not want to unfold it. When I looked inside it had written on the flag "2 Star USN 5' x 9.5' " and something else like maybe a 4 digit number that I couldn't make out. There is also a small plaque on the front with the dates "5 May 1972 - 1 June 1976" which i take to be the years the position was held. Not finding much on google with those dates. Initial research indicates that it would be for a Rear Admiral in the US Navy but other than that I really can't find out much about it. Can anybody tell what it is? Any help would be much appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. csaanv

csaanv Member

Hi datscold and welcome to the forum!
    Not sure what you got there but I don't think it is a Rear Admiral Flag. If you look at the chart below the US Navy does not have a 2 star side by side flag. Also their Command flags are never 5 x 9.5. in size. It might be some type of special awards flag. I live in a navy town so I can ask some of my officer friends and see what they say.

Screen Shot 2013-11-27 at 10.35.26 PM.jpg

3. datscold

datscold New Member

Awesome thank you so much . There is a fold in between the 2 stars. So maybe is folded some weird way that makes it look side-by-side. Or maybe air force?

4. csaanv

csaanv Member

You mentioned that there was written "2 star USN 5' x 9.5'. " Was this a note or was that stamped or hand written on the canvas header?

5. datscold

datscold New Member

Good morning and Happy Thanksgiving. Yes it was written in marker on the header. Think I should just unfold it?

6. csaanv

csaanv Member

It just occured to me that if the flag is indeed folded in the middle that this is probably an Admirals flag (4 stars) with the upper stars folded back behind. The size is going to be about 4' x 5'. Who ever wrote on the header didn't know what they had, probably an antique dealer.
    Happy Thanksgiving!

7. datscold

datscold New Member

Ok I'm def gonna unfold it this weekend.

8. datscold

datscold New Member

Ok, here it is unfolded.

photo 1.jpg photo 2.jpg

9. csaanv

csaanv Member

Hi datscold,
    Obviously, it is not an Admiral's flag or Rear Admiral's flag and the size and proportion does not confirm to any of the armed services command flags so I am not sure. My only thought is that is was a special made retirement or honors flag. You said the only markings was hand written? Usually naval flags have a stamp marking identifying the flag, and sometimes other information, like the date and location it was made. When I return to Virginia next week I can ask a local flag company who has been making flags for the navy since pre WW2.
    Cheers,
    mike

10. datscold

datscold New Member

Wow thank you. I really appreciate it. The only markings are hand written in marker as stated in the OP. But it seems whoever wrote on it was confused. Also evident by the fact that they wrote on it!! The flag seems to be linen or canvas. Once I had it out I don't see a lot of age to it so maybe it's newer, not sure. It's definetly a newer frame job, there was bubble wrap inside with it and tape that didn't look very old. The only other clue I have for it is the frame shop sticker on the back. It seems to be a DC area phone number. I think I'll give them a call today and see if they remember anything. :)

photo.JPG