Help us ID this Flag Please

Discussion in 'Flag Identification and Collecting' started by gmachetta, Nov 20, 2009.

1. gmachetta

gmachetta New Member

Can't seem to get picture to upload, but I can maybe email to anyone interested. It's a navy background, has 13 muslin stars (each about 1.5 inches) in a semi-circle around a muslin silhouette of a minuteman (about 10 inches tall). There is a muslin capital T (about 3.5 inches) in the lower right of the field, about 6 inches to the right of the last star on the right. It does appear to be machine stitched, and the rivets in the binding are brass. Forward info to email, and I'll see if I can send the picture to you in that manner. Flag was found in a box of other old heirloom quality textiles in an attic of a home my customer is remodeling. We've also uncovered some amazing old newspapers/magazines, so the owner was a packrat at some point.

2. NAVA1974

NAVA1974 Active Member

Your flag is a United States Savings Bonds flag. I've never seen these flags with any letters applied, though. The "T" may have been added once the flag was awarded to a company for a certain level of participation by its employees.

3. gmachetta

gmachetta New Member

Thanks so much for your help. I wonder how we would determine the age. At least I have a direction now. Appreciate you!

4. NAVA1974

NAVA1974 Active Member

The flag was designed during WWII and nylon pretty much took over in the 1970's, so I would estimate your flag was made between 1940 and 1980. You would have to compare the manufacturer's label to other flags they made during that period to be able to pin it down further.