Help with Oversized 48 Star Flag

Discussion in 'Flag Identification and Collecting' started by arocon, Apr 11, 2015.

1. arocon

arocon New Member

I thought I'd turn to the experts when it comes to identifying a flag. It is a vintage 48 star 58"x113" US Flag with heavy galvanized flag loops and brass rivets (See Pictures). It has no markings I can discern and I would love to know more about it. It was my grandfather's. He was a Naval Aviator in WWII and I'm curious if that could be involved in some way.

Thanks in Advance.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. NAVA1974

NAVA1974 Active Member

Hi, and welcome to the USA Flag Forum.
    Your flag is made of cotton bunting with stars sewn into place with machine zig-zag stitching, quite common for the mid 20th century flags. The flag is the standard size for internment, or casket, flags. If your grandfather died prior to 1959 this could have been the flag used at his funeral. If not, then it could have been the casket flag for another family member who was a veteran. I believe the metal loops at the end are characteristic of the flags made at the Philadelphia Navy Yard, as I have seen other such flags, sometimes marked QM Phila for the Quartermaster in Philadelphia. In short, it may very well be a government made flag.

Others on this forum may be able to provide additional info about place of manufacture.

Nick A
    Columbia Maryland