Holiday Flag Question

Discussion in 'US Flag Display' started by mill5034, Nov 28, 2013.

1. mill5034

mill5034 New Member

I am located in the Securting department on a CONUS Navy base. It's our department's job to manage the national ensign flying on our base. We use to have a colors watch person to raise and lower the flag at 8am and sunset, but recently public works installed a light to properly light the ensign all throughout the night elimating the colors person. The problem is no one seems to know how to do this.

The problem we have ran into is this:

We have always flown a smaller "regular flag" on most days and larger "holiday flag" on holidays and Sundays. On Sundays and holidays, when does the flying of the "regular flag" stop and the "holiday flag" begin? Someone suggested to take the "regular flag" down the night before at sunset colors, then raise the "holiday flag" at morning colors on the Sunday/holiday leaving no flag over night even though the light is on all night (we have no control over the light). Someone else suggested taking down the "regular flag" 5 minutes before putting up the "holiday flag" in the morning. Any ideas on where I could find regulations on this to present to the higher chain???

Thanks in advance!

2. Robin Hickman

Robin Hickman Well-Known Member

Hello, Mill5034, and welcome to the USA-FLAG-SITE Forums! :cool:

Happy Thanksgiving! :cool:

What would make sense to me is on the morning of the Holiday (like today - Thanksgiving) is for you folks to lower your "regular" Flag at 7:59 AM (0759), detach it from the halyard, attach your special "Holiday" Flag to the halyard, and at 8:00 AM (0800) sharp raise it up to the top of the flagpole just like you used to do. At sunset, lower your holiday Flag and detach it from the halyard, re-attach your regular flag to the halyard and raise it back up to the top of the flagpole.

VOILA !!! :cool::cool:

Robin Hickman
    Eugene, Oregon, USA.