How to display the United States Flag, United States Air Force Flag and a College Flag

Discussion in 'Other US Flag Etiquette' started by Granny04, Feb 16, 2017.

1. Granny04

Granny04 New Member

I want to buy as a surprise for my husband, a GA TECH graduate and a Air Force Veteran, 3 flag poles and fly the United States Flag on one flag pole, The United States Air Force on another flag pole and The Georgia Tech Institute Of Technology Flag on the third flag pole. I want to place the flag poles in a triangle with the middle one the highest. I assume the middle one would be the U.S Flag. Which side should the Air Force Flag go on and which side the GA TECH Flag go on? Also how much taller should the middle pole be than the other two Flag poles?

2. Robin Hickman

Robin Hickman Well-Known Member

Hello, Granny04!

Welcome to our forums!

Yes, the American Flag should go on the middle flagpole, especially if it's the tallest, because it is the most important Flag (at least here in the USA). The Air Force Flag (next most important Flag) would go on the Left-hand pole (that is, the pole on the "viewer's/observer's" left) and the Georgia Tech Flag (least most important) would go on the Right-hand flagpole (to the "viewer's" right).

The center pole should be "noticeably" taller. Which depending on the height of the three poles, might only be a foot or two. If you can find two 18' poles and a 20' pole, that would be just fine for being out in front of his house. If you can't find three poles where those sizes would work, then you might try getting three the same height, and burying the back two a foot or two deeper than the front (center) one. I don't think you'd want to create a situation where the center flagpole was WAY higher (say, 5' or 10').

But, all things considered, as long as the "flagpole triangle" is a noticeable triangle ("equilateral"?), then I would think that would be "OK", too!

Also, I am assuming that these three flagpoles are going to be placed in front of a building. If so, then the two shorter poles (back two) of the triangle should be placed in PARALLEL with the building's front wall, and the "center" (taller) pole should be centered out on front of the two other poles.

The flagpole "triangle" might look a little something like what I created below ( NOTE : The Building's Wall = _W_A_L_L_ , Air Force Flag = AF, Georgia Tech Flag = GT, and The American Flag = US ) :

__W__A__L__L__
    __AF_____GT___

_____US_______

I hope this helps you, at least a little, and that you like it!

Thank you for bringing your Flag-related question to our forum!

Robin Hickman
    "Your Friendly Neighborhood Flag Man"
    Eugene, Oregon, USA.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
  3. Granny04

Granny04 New Member

Robin,
    Thank you so much for your answer. I will post a picture once the project has been completed.

4. Robin Hickman

Robin Hickman Well-Known Member

Hello, Granny04 !

You're Welcome! I sure hope that all (or at least some) of my previous post made some sense! If you have any other questions, feel free to ask. There a number of Flag "experts" here on our Forums, so don't be surprised if they add some additional ideas or, perhaps, maybe even correct some of mine! If you like any of the various posts here in our forums, or find any of their information useful, you can always "like" the post by clicking on the "Like" link in the lower right-hand corner of that post.

BTW: You and your husband may choose a slightly different Flag arrangement than what I've suggested (above), and that's OK. A "caveat" that I try to present to most people when I talk with them about their Flags is: It's their house, it's their pole, and it's their Flag, so they can fly their Flag any way they want to as long as they do it with respect, and not get upset if some well-meaning "Flag Lover" offers a negative opinion about it.

We LOVE it when people post PICTURES of their Flags, Flags Displays, and Flag-related projects !!!

Good Luck!

Robin Hickman
    "Your Friendly Neighborhood Flag Man"
    Eugene, Oregon, USA.