How To Fly Your Flag At Half-Staff For "Patriot Day" (September 11th)

Discussion in 'Half Mast / Half Staff' started by Robin Hickman, Sep 3, 2018.

1. Robin Hickman

Robin Hickman Well-Known Member

"HOW TO FLY YOUR FLAG AT HALF-STAFF" To Commemorate "PATRIOT DAY" (September 11th)

Next Tuesday, September 11th, 2018, Is PATRIOT DAY - The 17th Anniversary Of The Terrorist Attacks On The United States On TUESDAY, SEPTEMBER 11th, 2001.

This my brief tutorial about "HOW TO FLY YOUR FLAG AT HALF-STAFF". It is based on the one I posted here for "Pearl Harbor Remembrance Day" in December, 2016.

©Robin Hickman (9-03-2018)
    September 3rd, 2018 · Eugene, Oregon, USA

"HOW TO FLY YOUR FLAG AT HALF-STAFF"

Tuesday, September 11th, Is PATRIOT DAY - The 17th Anniversary Of The Terrorist Attacks On The United States On TUESDAY, SEPTEMBER 11th, 2001.

By Federal Law & Custom, and Presidential Proclamation, "PATRIOT DAY" is a day when Flags at ALL Federal Buildings, Locations, Institutions, Parks, U.S. Embassies abroad, and Military Installations and Ships are to fly their Flags at "HALF-STAFF" to Commemorate and Honor ALL The Victims of the Terrorist Attacks On The United States On Tuesday, September 11th, 2001.

Additionally, ALL State & Territorial Governors will issue orders that all Flags at State/Territorial Government Public Buildings and Institutions throughout their jurisdictions be flown at "HALF-STAFF" from Sunrise to Sunset on Tuesday, September 11th, 2018 and to commemorate and honor ALL those who were victims of the Terrorist Attacks, 17 Years Ago, On Tuesday, September 11th, 2001.

Although it is NOT mandatory for NON-governmental institutions, businesses, and civilians to fly their Flags at "HALF-STAFF, nevertheless ALL Americans are encouraged to do so.

IF you wish to Honor and pay your respects to ALL those who were killed aboard American Airlines Flights 11 & 77 and United Airlines Flights 93 &175, and all those who were killed or injured in and around New York City, New York, The Pentagon Building (Arlington County, Virginia), and near Shanksville, Pennsylvania, on Tuesday, September 11th, 2001, then flying your own Flag at "HALF-STAFF is an altogether fitting and proper way to do so!

HOW TO FLY YOUR FLAG AT HALF-STAFF For "Patriot Day" (Or ANY Other "Half-Staff" Day) :

[NOTE : Flags that are flown ALL the time (24/7) should always have a LIGHT that shines on (illuminates) them all night long.]

Flagpoles With ROPED HALYARDS :

IF - You raise your U.S. Flag every morning and lower it every evening, then your Flag, when flown at half-staff, should first be hoisted briskly up to the peak (top) of your flagpole for an instant and then slowly lowered down to the half-staff position. In the late afternoon, before Sunset (or no later than one half-hour after sunset), your Flag should be again raised briskly up to the peak before it is slowly lowered all the way back down and removed for the evening.
    [NOTE : IF you are flying TWO (2) Flags on your halyard, then lower the Flags so that they are "straddling" (one above and one below) the Half-Staff position. ]

IF - You fly your U.S. Flag 24/7, then you can fly your Flag at half-staff simply by lowering it down to the half-staff position in the morning, then raising it back up to full-staff in the late afternoon, before Sunset.
    [NOTE : IF you are flying TWO (2) Flags on your halyard, then lower the Flags so that they are "straddling" (one above and one below) the Half-Staff position.]

FIXED/Static Flagpoles :

IF - You have a Flag that is flown in a "fixed" (unmovable) position on your flagpole, and it cannot be lowered down to half-staff (which is usually the case for those who have "house" or "porch" Flags mounted on 5' to 7' poles), then tie a black "Mourning Ribbon" (2"-3" wide and about the same length as your Flag) or a black "Mourning Bow" to the top end of your flagpole in the morning.
    If you take down your Flag & Pole in the evening, then you can remove the mourning ribbon/bow anytime. If your Flag is illuminated overnight, then you can simply remove the Mourning Ribbon/Bow in the late afternoon, before Sunset (or no later than one half-hour after sunset).

TELESCOPIC/Telescoping Flagpoles :

IF - You fly your Flag(s) from a TWO-Flag "TELESCOPIC" flagpole that has connections for TWO (2) Flags, then in the morning, lower the telescoping sections all the way down (if necessary) and remove both Flags and re-connect ONLY your U.S. Flag to the LOWER ("Secondary" Flag) position so that the TOP ("Primary" Flag) position is EMPTY. While this will not place your Flag in the "true" half-staff position, it will clearly show your intent to honor the victims of the Terrorist Attacks.
    In the late afternoon, before Sunset (but no later than one half-hour after sunset), IF you normally remove your Flag(s) in the evening, then do so. IF your Flag(s) are properly illuminated overnight, then simply reverse the process so that your Flag(s) are back in their original position(s) and raise the telescoping sections back up to full height.

IF - You fly your Flag from a ONE-Flag "TELESCOPIC" flagpole that has connections for ONLY ONE Flag, then in the morning, lower the telescoping sections all the way down and attach a BLACK "Mourning Ribbon" (or "Mourning Bow") to the very top of the flagpole. Usually there is an ornamental ball or eagle ("finial") that screws into the top of the pole and this will be what you attach the black Mourning Ribbon (or Bow) to. Telescope ALL of the sections all the way up.
    In the late afternoon, before Sunset (but no later than one half-hour after sunset), IF... You normally remove your Flag in the evening, then do so (including the black Mourning Ribbon/Bow too). IF... Your Flag is properly illuminated overnight, then simply reverse the process by lowering the telescoping sections, removing the Mourning Ribbon/Bow, and then raising the telescoping sections back up to full height.

PLEASE . . . . .

IF - For ANY reason you can NOT properly "Half-Staff" your Flag, or tie a Mourning Ribbon/Bow to your flagpole, or you normally don't fly your Flag unless it's a "holiday", PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE fly your Flag at Full-Staff (even if necessary) to honor ALL those who were serving, sacrificing, and dying at any of the four locations of the Terrorist Attacks on the morning of Tuesday, September 11th, 2001.

Thank You, ONE & ALL !!!

Patriotically Yours,

Robin Hickman
    "Your Friendly Neighborhood Flag Man" (& U.S. Navy Veteran)
    Eugene, Oregon, USA.
    (Monday, September 3rd, 2018)
    …..

2. FoxValleyMike

FoxValleyMike Member

Great summary Robin. I still remember the morning that happened like it was yesterday.

I've already got my flag and my black streamers ready to go in the garage for September 11th. And of course another flag every day until then.

3. Robin Hickman

Robin Hickman Well-Known Member

…..
    Thanx, Mike!

I'm planning on making a "cleaned-up" edited version of the "How To Half-Staff Your Flag" posting that's a more generic version (without names and dates) that can, hopefully, be easier to read. I also get the feeling that I forgot a couple of things that should probably be in there somewhere!

I use "spinning" flagpoles for my two regular "house" Flags: U.S. & Oregon. I can't "half-staff" the 3'x5' versions on the upper "spinning" part of the poles, BUT... I can mount 2'x3' Flags at the lower end of the upper spinning half right at the junction of the two halves and with about 15" of white flagpole showing above the Flags, I've got a fair representation of "half-staffed" Flags!

I'm going to make a posting here with pictures of my Senator John McCain Flags Display. I originally posted on my Facebook page about it on the day he passed away on Friday, August 24th, then added and slightly re-arranged the display the following morning.

Robin
    …..

4. FoxValleyMike

FoxValleyMike Member

I'm sure you and me were very few of the people that had some kind of half staff display for former Senator John McCain. Somehow it did feel good though to display the flag properly on my house for him.