How to keep my flag from wrapping around the flag pole

Discussion in 'US Flag Display' started by God_Bless_America, Nov 12, 2011.

1. God_Bless_America

God_Bless_America New Member

Hello everyone,
    I just moved into an apartment a few months ago and I have a flag that is displayed similar to this:

It keeps wrapping around the flag pole multiple times with the slightest bit of wind.
    Are there any solutions to this? I am looking to get a new flag as well, any suggestions?

Thanks a lot.
  2. NAVA1974

NAVA1974 Active Member

Google "flag non tangle rod" and you will have your answer to #1.
    Go to your senator's website to order a flag flown over the US Capitol and you will have your answer to #2.

Nick A
    Columbia Maryland
  3. Robin Hickman

Robin Hickman Active Member

Hello, "G_B_A" ! Welcome to the USA-Flag-Site forums! :D

The easiest and lowest cost way to solve a "home flag set" Flag furling (wrapping around the flagpole) problem, is with some heavy duty (high pound test) mono-filament fishing line.

Attach the fishing line to the UPPER fly corner and anchor the other end to the ground or something below where the Flag is hanging. The fishing line is almost invisible from only a few feet away and it will keep the Flagfrom being able to wrap around (furl) the pole.

By attaching the line to the upper fly corner instead of the lower one, your Flag will look more "natural" in the wind, especially if you leave a little slack in the line. If you live in a windy area, use more than one length of line (double, triple, etc.).

If you bring your Flag in every night, then attach something permanent to the end of the fishing line that can be quickly "hooked" & "unhooked" to/from your ground anchor.

Fishing line is a LOT cheaper than a $50 :eek: "Non-Tangle Rod For Outrigger Flagpoles".

Need a new U.S. Flag? You might consider going to your neighborhood Wal*Mart. Here in the Eugene, Oregon area, all three of our Wal*Marts have 3'x5' U.S. Flags for less than $18, and 4'x6' for less than $25. Cotton Flags are slightly more,

GOOD LUCK !!! :D

Robin Hickman
    Eugene, Oregon, USA
  4. NAVA1974

NAVA1974 Active Member

5. coasterville

coasterville Member

And I went the hardware route - with the "Spinning" flagpole. They retail for about $20-$25, and are available in either white or silver - eagle or ball top.

It's a 6' pole meant for home applications, be mindful that if you started with one of the cheap us flag sets you can buy for like $10, they may come with the smaller 3/4" pole (the old kind) and if so you will also need to look at replacing the bracket on your home.

I can also break the news to you that even the so-called never furl poles and attachments and the like aren't perfect, but they are better than doing nothing. Spinning pole works by having the upper 40" of the pole free to rotate around by way of ball bearings.

Robin's suggesting will also work, and you may note on some commerical outrigger type poles, some not as subtle rope is employed to the same effect, That tactic might cause damage to the flag in high wind conditions, but then if it is high wind conditions, you will have probably brought the flag inside anyway,

Almost any big box store will sell flags, though this might not be the right time as some only sell them in the summer. My local Wal*Mart is that way. Then again I have access to a real flag store, this means you pay higher prices for higher grade flags, and if you get into collecting, can be a great resource, as are on line flag dealers. I have a modest collection, including a US Capitol flag.