Huge (size 3?) 48 star flag w/tiny stars

Discussion in 'Flag Identification and Collecting' started by wttygrrl, Mar 12, 2018.

1. wttygrrl

wttygrrl New Member

I found this flag the other day and have not been able to identify it. Sorry the picture is dark. The flag seems to be made out of a coarse mesh? I couldn't see any markings on the side, but then again, I didn't have a ladder with me. The right side has been cut off. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. Dexter Cole

Dexter Cole New Member

Nice old 48 star flag. Looks early, some were made in 1912 and therefore are over 100 years old already.

3. Robin Hickman

Robin Hickman Well-Known Member

Hello, Wttygrrl!

Welcome to the USA-FLAG-SITE Forums!

It's hard telling exactly (or approximately) when your Flag was made. However, we can see that the Flag has had some "repairs" done to it, namely that the Flag has been "shortened". This was probably done because the Flag's fly end had been damaged and tattered because of exposure to the wind over time. A common practice was to lengthen a Flag's "lifespan" when the fly end's stripes had started to become separated and tattered. The fly end would be cut back in a straight line across the stripes inside of where the damage started, then folded back once or twice and re-sewn. The Flag would be shorter, but still an adequate representation for our Country.

Also, it looks to me that the bottom two white stripes might have had some repairs made to sew them back together.

The 48-Star U.S. Flag was official for a total of 47 years. The 48-Star Flag was "official" from July 4th, 1912 until July 3rd, 1959. The 49th Star, representing Alaska, was added on July 4th, 1959 and then the 50th Star, representing Hawaii, was added on July 4th, 1960.

Your 48-Star Flag could be old (say, 1959), really old (say, 1940), or really, really old (say 1918)!

Usually, it's a LOT easier to guess (or in some cases, pinpoint) the approximate age of a Flag with clear, focused, and well-lit photos. Especially "close-up" photos of a Flag's construction details: such as the sewing connecting the stripes, the hems, and across the fly-end, how the Stars were made (embroidered or sewn-on), any identifying marks such as printing, labels, or tags.

Can you obtain any additional photos of the Flag in question?

Please let us know!

Thank you!

Robin Hickman
    "Your Friendly Neighborhood Flag Man"
    Eugene, Oregon, USA.

4. kirshmed

kirshmed New Member

Interested in selling?