I need help figuring out what flag this is.

Discussion in 'Flag Identification and Collecting' started by Gooseflats, Aug 10, 2015.

1. Gooseflats

Gooseflats New Member

I have a photo from around 1917-18 time with a flag under the American Flag. I would like to know what this flag is. However I cannot include an image or put a link to it here until I have posted 50 times. I really don't know what the heck I would post 50 times about. I just would like to know about this flag.

2. Robin Hickman

Robin Hickman Well-Known Member

Hello, GooseFlats!

Welcome to the USA-FLAG-SITE Forum!

If you have a Facebook page, you could post the pic there and let us know where to find it,

OR... become a member of the "Flags Of The World" (FOTW) Facebook Group page and post the pic there and ask about it.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/flagsoftheworld/

Just a thought.....

Robin Hickman
    "Your Friendly Neighborhood Flag Man"
    Eugene, Oregon, USA.

3. Peter Ansoff

Peter Ansoff USA Flag Site Admin

I cannot include an image or put a link to it here until I have posted 50 times.

I'm not sure exactly what's going on -- I just tried logging in under a test username/password (which has only 13 times, and none at all recently), and had no problem uploading a picture. Did you use the "upload a file" button down there below the right of the editing screen? It lets you search on your HD for the picture file, and gives the option of posting the full image or a thumbnail.

4. Gooseflats

Gooseflats New Member

Hi Peter. I don't recall how or what I clicked on. All I know is it wouldn't let me attach an image OR let me post a URL to the image.

5. Gooseflats

Gooseflats New Member

Just for kicks, here is the image. I guess I did something strange the first time.

Attached Files:

6. Robin Hickman

Hi, GooseFlats!

I'm glad you were able to post the picture of your "mystery" Flag!

Do you know where the picture was taken? If you do, then that might help identify what the Flag is. Since it does not appear to be a U.S. State or Territory Flag, perhaps it is some kind of "company" Flag? As it is, it looks like a white (or light-color) Flag with a black (or dark-color) border and three vertical black (or dark-color) stripes in the middle 1/3 of the Flag.

Also, can you post a larger version of the picture? The one you've posted is only 27.3 KB, and it gets all "pixelated" when I try to enlarge it. This website accepts pictures/graphics up to about 90 KB in size. Not much bigger, I know, but it might help.

On the other hand, one of our members might know EXACTLY what the Flag is without having to enlarge it!

Thank you!

Robin Hickman
    "Your Friendly Neighborhood Flag Man"
    Eugene, Oregon, USA.

7. Gooseflats

Gooseflats New Member

The photo was taken in Tombstone, Arizona. On the Facebook page one of the members pointed me in the right direction. Here is an image of the flag: (well, I was going to put a link here to the Library of Congress image of the flag, but I got the 50 messages error!!)

8. Gooseflats

Gooseflats New Member

Attached is the image

Attached Files:

9. Robin Hickman

Thank you for the much larger, clearer, and in COLOR picture!!!

3rd Liberty Loan makes SO much sense given the time frame of 1917-18. Wish I'd made the World War 1 connection in my head!

Which Facebook "Flag" group page did you go ask about it? I am a member of three Flag-related FB Groups: FOTW, Flags and Vexillilogy, and Flag Collection and Exchange Worldwide. I never saw it come up on any of them. Oh, well!

I'm glad you were able to solve your "Flag Mystery"!

Robin

10. Gooseflats

Gooseflats New Member

I posted it on the Flags Of The World Facebook page on August 10th.
    Thank you for all your help.

11. Peter Ansoff

Peter Ansoff USA Flag Site Admin