I need help to ID this 24 star flag

Discussion in 'Flag Identification and Collecting' started by meenman, Nov 10, 2011.

1. meenman

meenman New Member

2. meenman

meenman New Member

Any thoughts about the age?

3. NAVA1974

NAVA1974 Active Member

The dyed canton of blue with white stars appears to be identical to the material in some WW II era 48-star flags I have. Not sure why someone would want a 24-star flag reproduction, but Missouri was the 24th state, and their centennial would have been in 1921. Frankly the flag doesn't look that old, and I would stick with the 1940's to 1950's as my guess.

The size is near correct for a casket flag, so maybe it was made as an expedient for a large number of military funerals.

Nick A
    Columbia Maryland

4. csaanv

csaanv Member

Maybe it is a movie prop?

5. Robin Hickman

Robin Hickman Well-Known Member

For What It's Worth: Judging by the spacing and the gaps, it looks, to me, exactly like a 48-star Flag with the 1st, 3rd, 5th, and 7th rows (of six stars each) removed, and leaving the remaining 2nd, 4th, 6th, and 8th rows (of six stars each) in the canton.

Does anybody else see it ??? :confused:

Robin Hickman
    Eugene, Oregon, USA

6. csaanv

csaanv Member

Robin,
    It does look funky with the extra space at the top.

7. NAVA1974

NAVA1974 Active Member

Yep.
    As I said earlier, the stars look like the material in the canton of my 48 star flag. It was probably canton material from a 6x10 foot flag, and they just used half of the stars to make a smaller flag.
    Nick