Iamsmokie

Discussion in 'US Flag Display' started by iamsmokie, Nov 24, 2008.

1. iamsmokie

iamsmokie New Member

The flags over the ice at our local hockey arena display both the American and Canadian flags, I was taught in the military that at peacetime one nation's flag cannot be displayed above another, Their display has the American flag displayed above the Canadian flag. Is this correct?

2. Peter Ansoff

Peter Ansoff USA Flag Site Admin

Re: One Flag Above Another

Hello, Smokie -- welcome!

Their display has the American flag displayed above the Canadian flag. Is this correct?

No, it's not. International usage is that one nation's flag should not be flown above another, and the US flag code says the same thing.

However, one needs to consider the context. If the US and Canadian flags are at the opposite ends of the arena, and one of them is a few feet higher because of the configuration of the space, that's not a big deal. If they are close together and would give the appearance of one flag being subordinate to the other, that would not be proper etiquette.

Peter Ansoff

3. iamsmokie

iamsmokie New Member

Thank you for your reply. I am hoping with your reply and USC that I downloaded yesterday I can convince them to correct it.