ID Help Vincent J. Spelman & Co Flag

Discussion in 'Flag Identification and Collecting' started by vela, Jan 15, 2014.

1. vela

vela New Member

Hi there,
    I picked up this flag at a yard sale a few years back and haven't had much luck finding out about it. Can anyone help?
    It is wool, has the Vincent J Spelman lable on it. It is stamped US (and the a few letters I can't make out) 2X3. It has grommets for hanging.
    It almost looks like a Coast Guard flag, but I can't find one that looks like it anywhere on the web.
    The woman who sold it to me said it belonged to her father, who served in the military (but she didn't say which branch) and she was selling many other items of military memorabilia. I just really liked the flag, it was inexpensive and it's in great condition so I got it. My phine camera isn't great so I hope the pictures are good enough to help. I have more if need be.
    Thanks so much,
    Vela

Attached Files:

2. csaanv

csaanv Member

Hi Vela,
    Would you be able to post more photos of the entire flag?
    thanks,
    mike

3. NAVA1974

NAVA1974 Active Member

It looks like the eagle from the house flag of the United States Lines:
    United states Lines.jpg

4. vela

vela New Member

Sure thing, Thanks

flag tag1.jpg full flag good1.jpg

5. vela

vela New Member

The stamp next to the tag has letters I couldn't quite make out. But I just looked after reading this and it does say "U.S. LINE"!!!! I could only make out U.S. and the E before. So now I guess I need to find out what a US LINE flag is :) Thanks.

6. NAVA1974

NAVA1974 Active Member

Just take a look at my note from yesterday! Your flag is the House Flag of the United States Lines shipping company. They used that same eagle with or without the name printed below.

Nick
    Columbia Maryland

7. vela

vela New Member

Yes, your post is what made me look at the lettering closer, thanks!
    I just didn't know what a "House Flag of the United States Lines" was. So it's a shipping company called United States Lines?
    (I'm geeking out a little right now!!)

8. USLHec

USLHec New Member

School 1.jpg
    You definitely have an original United States Lines Company house flag. Very nice find. I actually own the logo, and revived the house flag for the S.S. United States. The ship began flying the house flag on July 3rd of last year, on the anniversary of its maiden voyage and now it has become a tradition that I hope will continue into the future once the ship is refurbished into a water front tourist attraction. If you ever want to sell it in the future, feel free to contact me. Would love to add it to the USL archives. In the meantime, enjoy it and take good care of it. Not many pop up that often.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2015