In need of advice regarding flag material, flagpole size and display.

Discussion in 'US Flag Specs and Design' started by Ursula Root, Sep 9, 2015.

1. Ursula Root

Ursula Root New Member

Good afternoon everyone,

My husband and I recently moved to a house with a front porch and we will be setting up our first set of flagpoles (hopefully by next week). We will fly the American and Brazilian flags off. I would like to have some advice from you pros on some different subjects.

1. What flag materials do you recommend? I intend to fly the flags outdoor day and night so it has to be a resistant material and I also want something that looks good. I don't mind paying more for beautiful flags instead of cheap looking ones. Feel free to share an Amazon link if you know of an excellent flag being sold there.

2. What size of flagpoles would be good for 3x5 flags? Since our porch is small, my husband and I decided that 3x5 flags would be the ideal size, but what size of flagpoles looks the better along with it? Also, if you have a specific brand or model to recommend, I would love to take a look at it, I'll be buying most of what I need (if not all) off Amazon so feel free to share links with me if you have any. And yes, I'm talking about those flagpoles which we attach to the porch poles in a certain angle.

3. What kind of lights do you recommend? I want to follow the Flag Code strictly and I do intend to acquire lights to keep the flags lighten up during the night. Do any of you use a kind of light you are very satisfied with? I have seen this light for the flagpoles, which is solar powered and I liked it a lot, have any of you tried it? What do you think?

I'm very excited about flying our first flags off and I want to do everything right the first time, so any advice is appreciated!

Thank you so much,
    Ursula

2. Robin Hickman

Robin Hickman Well-Known Member

Hello, Ursula!

Welcome to the USA-FLAG-SITE Forum!

We've had a number of similar questions submitted here over the years. While each posting was different, the questions were all pretty much about the same things: Flag size, Flag fabric, flagpole type & size, flagpole bracket types, flagpoles/brackets placements, lights, etc. I'll give you my recommendations, and post a few links to a few other threads where there is more information and advice.

3'x5' (or 2'x3') nylon Flags made in the USA, mounted on a 5' or 6' "spinning" flagpoles that are 1" in diameter, held in place by cast METAL (NOT plastic or nylon) brackets, mounted on your porch so that the Flags don't hit (or rub) against anything or anyone. The light that you linked to is made for a 15'-25' in-ground (vertical) flagpole that has a finial (top ornament) that is connected to the top of the pole with a 3/8" to 1/2" bolt. I don't believe that the light you linked to will fit any "house pole" on the market today. Depending on how and where your porch light is situated, you might consider using an extra-bright LED or CFL bulb that is controlled by an "electric eye" (dusk-to-dawn).

Here are a few other threads on this site with similar questions & answers :

http://www.usa-flag-site.org/forum/threads/house-flag-display.11484/

http://www.usa-flag-site.org/forum/threads/flag-in-rain-if.11422/

http://www.usa-flag-site.org/forum/threads/advice-on-a-flag-and-pole.11471/

If you and/or your husband are on Facebook, you can check out my "home" page where I've posted many pictures and videos of the Flags that I've flown at my house during the past few years :

https://www.facebook.com/RobinHickman

I hope some of this will help you. If you have any additional questions, feel free to ask them and I'll do my best to answer them!

Robin Hickman
    "Your Friendly Neighborhood Flag Man"
    Eugene, Oregon, USA.

Ursula Root likes this.
  3. Ursula Root

Ursula Root New Member

Robin,

Thank you so much for your tips and links! I have read the links you provided as well as taken a look at your Facebook pictures (love your set up, by the way! lol) and it pretty much answered my questions. Also, your bracket tip was very important as I had no idea that it mattered that much and I was about to purchase a plastic one, thank you for warning me! The only concern I still have is about the light, my porch's light isn't in a good position and we don't have any outdoor outlets so that's why I have been considering solar powered ones. My porch happens to receive a lot of sunlight during the day all year long so I got that going for me, but now the problem is finding two lights that will do the job, if you know of any that's durable and reliable, please let me know!

Also, if you cold give me your opinion on my possible choices of products, I would be more than grateful. So far, I'm pending towards buying the following products:

• These flagpoles
    • These brackets (I'll buy separate screws since the ones that come along with it look too small)
    • This American and this Brazilian flags
    • And I have been wondering about trying these solar powered lights

I'd really appreciate and value your opinion! :)

Thank you so much,
    Ursula

4. Robin Hickman

Hello, again, Ursula!

Thank You for your kind words! Hopefully, you've also "Liked" my postings here, too!

As near as I can tell, almost all, if not all, of the 2-piece "spinner ("spinning") flagpoles are imported from China. I wouldn't be too surprised if most (if not all) flagpole brackets are also imported.

The 3'x5' Annin "Nyl-Glo" U.S. Flag that you've selected is a very good one, and the price ($13.79) is excellent! Annin's catalog price is $39.90 for the (stock #002460) same Flag. [ BTW : The Annin Catalog price for a 3'x5' Nyl-Glo Brazil Flag is $38.90. ]

I think you might be paying a little too much for your 6' spinning flagpoles ($28.62 each) and the cast iron 2-position brackets ($8.99 each).

The four "set-ups" that I use are all the same : a 7' spinning flagpole mounted in a cast aluminum 13-position bracket (except one). My advice for avoiding using non-cast-metal (plastic, nylon, or resin) brackets comes from using them. I initially put up four brackets that all looked the same, except that one of them was made of nylon. I did so because I was curious to see how it would compare with the more expensive cast aluminum ones. It did NOT compare favorably! I am still using the three original aluminum brackets, but I'm on the third nylon one (the first two broke under the constant stress, and the third one is well on its way to doing the same!).

I am still using the same four 7' 2-piece spinning flagpoles that I've had for the past three years, or so. I use two on an almost daily basis, but the other two only on special occasions. I recommend the 6' ones as there is less stress on them (than on the 7' poles) and the bracket due to the weight of the Flag and the force of the wind on the Flag.

If you're still "in the market" for the 6' spinning flagpoles and the brackets, I'll post some links to the on-line store where I bought mine. OK?

http://www.united-states-flag.com/6ft-spinner-flagpole-white-aluminum.html

http://www.united-states-flag.com/polebrackets.html
    http://www.united-states-flag.com/1in-adjustable-cast-aluminum-bracket-white-by-valley-forge.html
    http://www.united-states-flag.com/1in-cast-aluminum-bracket-white-by-valley-forge.html

You also might consider a couple of extra sets of EZ-Clip Flagpole rings (just in case...). I use the clear ones, but you might prefer the white ones. :

http://www.united-states-flag.com/1in-clear-pvc-mounting-rings-pair-of-2.html
    http://www.united-states-flag.com/white-ez-clip-flag-rings.html

I don't know if you or your husband might ever find it necessary to fly your Flags at "half-staff", but if you do, using the smaller 2'x3' size of flags works very well for that purpose. I have done so a number of times (unfortunately), which you've probably seen in some of my Facebook postings.

The solar LED light that you've linked to, seems to be the type that you would have to put down in the ground, and it might be a little too weak and far away to do its job correctly. There are solar flagpole light kits that are especially made for the type of house flagpoles you're planning on using. Unfortunately, I've never used one so I can't tell you how well they work. Sorry about that. The best possible placement and positioning for them is towards the south where they can be exposed to the most sunlight for the longest time. They ALWAYS work more efficiently in the summer than in the winter as there is more sunlight, more often, for a longer period of time, and the daylight hours are much longer than the dark, overnight hours.

Like I wrote earlier, I've never used a solar-LED-flagpole-light, so I can't offer you an accurate opinion on them. I can, however, give you a link to one on the United-States-Flag website so you can see what one looks like!

http://www.united-states-flag.com/solar-flag-light-kit.html

Do you have any pictures of your front porch and surrounding area?

Robin Hickman
    Eugene, Oregon, USA.

5. Ursula Root

Ursula Root New Member

Robin,

Thank you so much for your wonderful tips, I'll definitely buy the flagpoles, brackets and extra rings off the site you suggested! The price is much sweeter and the quality seems way better. About the light you linked, it sounded very interesting at first (I didn't know there were lights you can "clip" to the flagpole itself) but once I looked at their website picture I had the impression it might end up being an eyesore since it's quite big, I do not want to take the focus out of the beautiful flags! The light problem is being a challenge for me, I don't know what do, but hopefully I'll figure something out eventually. I don't have a picture of the porch here on my computer but I'll take one tomorrow morning so you can have a better idea of the set up I'm planning! :)

Thank you for all the help and suggestions!
    Ursula

6. Charles Miller

Charles Miller New Member

Thanks Robin and Ursula for all this information.
    I can attest that the flag at the link below by Rushmore Rose USA is a high quality embroidered American Flag provided by our company who's reviewers are extremely pleased with their purchase.
    We're a relatively new company and certainly value the fact all our flags are 100% Made in USA by US employees on home soil.
    We are Amazon's Choice of American Flag and extremely proud to honor our nation and all those that gave so much, by providing a True American Flag.

American Flag by Rushmore Rose USA

With Best Regards,

Charles Miller

7. Robin Hickman

Greetings, Charles, and welcome to the USA-FLAG-SITE Forums!

Robin Hickman
    Eugene, Oregon, USA.