Indoor Display

Discussion in 'US Flag Display' started by Smit5423, Jul 25, 2016.

1. Smit5423

Smit5423 New Member

I bought a 4'x6' commercial flag today to hang on a wall in my apartment I would prefer to display it horizontally and I was wondering what the best way to attach it to the wall(dry wall) while following any rules or codes. For example I was unsure if you're able to use a nail in the top corners or if that is not supposed to be done. Thanks.

2. Robin Hickman

Robin Hickman Well-Known Member

Hello, Smit5423!

Welcome to the USA-Flag-Site Forum!

Although I don't display a horizontal wall-mounted Flag (indoors) very often, but when I do, I use push-pins (NOT thumbtacks). Almost ALL American-made Flags use a double row of stitching along the top and bottom hems of their Flags. I first "anchor" the top-left side of the Flag using its grommet (or the white canvas of the "header"), then place the push pins in between the two rows of hem-stitching across the top-side of the Flag. Keeping the Flag "snug" as I work my way across (from left-to-right) I very gently pierce the fabric making sure that I don't "pop" any of the threads. I place the push-pins about every 12 inches, or so, then go back and place push-pins in-between the first ones. When I'm done there is a push-pin every 6", or so, across the top of the Flag. This lessens the "stress" on the Flag by evening out the weight distribution, and keeps it from sagging in the middle. I don't usually attach the bottom or the ends of the Flag to the wall, because it's only a temporary display. If it were meant to be a more "permanent" display, then I'd probably "pin" the other three sides, but not with quite so many pins.

NOTE : If you are going to mount your Flag VERTICALLY, put the Blue, star-filled, "Union" (canton) in the upper left-hand corner. To do this you'll have to put the front of the Flag to the wall. You can use the grommets at each end of the white canvas header, to "anchor" your Flag, then place the push-pins (gently!) across the top so as to give the hanging Flag equal support and prevent sagging.

However you choose to hang your Flag on your Wall, please take a few pictures of it and come back here to post them and tell us how you did it!

Thank You!

Robin Hickman
    "Your Friendly Neighborhood Flag Man"
    Eugene, Oregon, USA.