Infringements to the U.S.A. flag

Discussion in 'American Flag History' started by boon, Oct 25, 2008.

1. boon

boon New Member

When was the Executive Order to adopt the gold fringe to three of the
    borders of the flag of The United States of America put into effect, who had the origional idea for the gold fringe and where was the gold fringed flag first viewed by the people?

Last edited: Oct 25, 2008
  2. Peter Ansoff

Peter Ansoff USA Flag Site Admin

Hello, Boon -- welcome!

When was the Executive Order to adopt the gold fringe to three of the borders of the flag of The United States of America put into effect,

There is no Executive Order that says anything about fringes on the American flag. There are several threads in the Flag Design section of this forum that discuss this in detail.

where was the gold fringed flag first viewed by the people?

Fringes have been used on flags since ancient times. They were first used on the American flag when the Army started using it as a national color in the 19th century. Nowdays, fringes are widely used on American flags in both military and civilian contexts. The fringe has no symbolic meaning -- its only purpose is to enhance the beauty of the flag.

Best regards,

Peter Ansoff

3. boon

boon New Member

Thank you, Mr. Ansoff for your reply. I am still a little confused on the facts that you have provided me with. You stated that in the 19th century the military used the fringe as a national color. I was strictly under the impression that my countrys flag had only 3 colors, that consisting of only red, white and blue. Furthermore, how can anyone enchance the glory, or beautify our flag, of the United States of America? If the gold fringe has no real significance, who authorizied it to be placed there? Would it be feasable for all the citizens of The United States of America to take a stand and vote
    on any additiions to our flag?

Last edited: Oct 27, 2008
  4. PRGringo

PRGringo Member

Peter is not implying that the flag has 4 colors. That the flag is adorned with fringe to enchance is "beauty in the eye of the beholder". The flag has been adorned by any number of people, organizations and idealists, placing logos and symbols to share the passions of patriotism with their own special interest or hobby. The fringe is just another adornment, like a bow on a present. It is not required, nor is it espressedly forbidden.

There are organizations that are concerned with flag protection issues. Perhaps they would be interested in taking up your suggestion. An organized lobby would perhaps be a more effective venue for championing your cause.

5. Peter Ansoff

Peter Ansoff USA Flag Site Admin

Hi, again, Boon!

You stated that in the 19th century the military used the fringe as a national color.

No. I stated that the American flag was used as a national color. A "color" is a flag that is flown by a military unit or a ship to identify its nationality or identity. (This is why, for example, the ceremony of raising the flag is called "morning colors.") The point is that the Army regiments started carrying the US flag as their national color in the early 19th century, and the colors often had fringes. Again, I was referring to the flag itself, not its hues. Sorry for the confusion.

If the gold fringe has no real significance, who authorizied it to be placed there?

Nobody authorized it, and nobody needs to. Its use is up to the manufacturer and user of the flag, just like the selection of the fabric that the flag is made from, the particular stitching or dying process used, and the type of pole that it's displayed on. Organizations and individuals can use it or not, as they prefer. For example, Army regulations say that their parade flags will have fringes, while Marine Corps regs say that theirs do not. The State Department specifies fringed flags for indoor display at embassies and consulates, but not for outdoor use. Veterans' groups, churches and other private organizations frequently display fringed American flags at their meetings and in their institutions.

The fringe is like a picture frame: it enhances the appearance of the artwork, but it is not part of it. Of course, beauty is subjective. If you don't want the flag in your home/office/whatever to have a fringe, then by all means don't! Again, it's your personal preference -- the fringe itself has no symbolic meaning.

Best,

Peter Ansoff

6. flagexport

flagexport New Member

yes, as a flags manufacturer, we know that the fringe is only for the beauty of flags,sometimes our customers just adjust the style of fringe.

7. coasterville

coasterville Member

It should also be noted that this is by no means an American custom.

The fringe, usually golden in color has been seen on other nations flags as well in similar situations. For example, I just completed a trip to Ireland last month and I noted Irish flags I saw in a church and at the passport control area had the gold fringe as well.

I'll just leave it at that before this thread goes the way of the one before it...