Interesting 48 star Flag with eyehooks & 1919 Discharge papers!

Discussion in 'Flag Identification and Collecting' started by usaretired, Jun 13, 2011.

1. usaretired

usaretired New Member

Hi,

I picked up this flag yesterday at an estate sale. With it were Army Discharge papers from 1919 and a bible dated 1914. I am presuming that this flag is around the same time period? I would appreciate some advice on a couple of things though and I apologize if they are silly questions.

1. The flag has eye hooks instead of grommets. Would this be a post or installation flag?

2. On the end of the read stripes there are padded patches with slits - would there have been weights in these?

3. Flag measures 5' x 9'.

4. Flag is unmarked but I presume around the time 1915-1920?

Going to try to post some images...wish me luck!

Attached Files:

2. csaanv

csaanv Member

Hi usaretired,
    It is very possible that your flag could be of that era. The way the rings that are attached to header are typical of the Philadelphia Quartermasters Depot. I believe you are correct about the padded patches. This would allow the flag hang from a pole that is mounted from a building without wrapping itself around it. Would you have larger photos? Could you send them to emmalpass(at)yahoo(dot)com? I would really like to study the details.
    Thanks!
    Mike

3. lx970

lx970 New Member

I aslo have a similar 48 state Philadelphia Quartermasters Depot US Flag its in great condition no holes and awsome color! it has Phila Q.M 9'6" x 5' stamped on it and USMC april 1st 1935 hand written on it, for more pic Email me.
    I'd like to date it if possible? any info would be greatly appreciated!
    if interested in adding this flag to your collection send offers to LX970@yahoo.com Thanks!

[​IMG]

4. lx970

lx970 New Member

5. lx970

lx970 New Member

6. lx970

lx970 New Member

7. lx970

lx970 New Member

8. csaanv

csaanv Member

Dear usaretired,
    Judging the condition of this flag I would say the 1935 date would be acurate.
    mm

9. lx970

lx970 New Member

would $80 shipped be fair?

10. lx970

lx970 New Member

This flag is available for $80 shipped payable to Lincoln1913@ymail.com via papal, shipped via USPS W/ delivery confirmation

11. lx970

lx970 New Member

US lower 48 only Thanks! Alex

12. lx970

lx970 New Member

How do i tell if this flag is cotton or wool bunting?

13. lx970

lx970 New Member

48 State Philadelphia QuarterMasters Depot Flag SOLD, Sold on the 4th of July.... how COOL is that!